From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 2009 08:19:56 -0400
Sandi wrote:
>Once I had a vet whom belived that all shelters should have the mercy
>shot for their use in the event of an emergency, where no vet could
>be reached. Like on holidays. That we knew how to do it, (properly)
>ourselves.

I don't know about other states, but that is totally illegal in
Florida, and I would suspect a vet would lose his license by providing
the solution to anyone not licensed or certified. It may also be
illegal in your state, and that is why your current vet won't provide
this.

Florida Statutes:
Euthanasia shall be performed only by a licensed veterinarian or an
employee or agent of a public or private agency, animal shelter, or
other facility that is operated for the collection and care of stray,
neglected, abandoned, or unwanted animals, provided the employee or
agent has successfully completed a 16-hour euthanasia technician
certification course. The curriculum for such course must be approved
by the Board of Veterinary Medicine and must include, at a minimum,
the pharmacology, proper administration, and storage of euthanasia
solutions; federal and state laws regulating the storage and
accountability of euthanasia solutions; euthanasia technician stress
management; and proper disposal of euthanized animals...........a
certified veterinarian technician who is an employee or agent as
defined in the subsection, may perform euthanasia without completing
the certification course required by this subsection.

Katharine
Florida