From:
Rich Czuba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 1995 10:03:23 -0600
Louie is a 2 year old sable who spends all of his time inside our house.
There are no other pets.  Last year we took him to the vet for his second
rabies & distemper shot.  After we got him home he started convulsing and
throwing up so violently that we thought he was going to die.  We were
terrified and rushed him back to the vet.  They gave him a shot of some type
of antihistamine and a few minutes later he was OK.  They told us that in
the future they would give him this shot first so he would be able to
tolerate his rabies/distemper shot.

I have always believed that you need to protect your pet with the
appropriate vaccines but this episode is making me wonder if it is worth the
risk.  Is the anithistamine shot pretty routine?  Should I consider not
getting him future shots (he is due now) because of his reaction last time?
I want to do what is best for him.

Rich Czuba