From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 20:58:24 -0500
I've had an adrenal survey running on my Adrenal/Insulinoma website for a
little while now, and have 106 entries to date.  I thought some that have
not seen it would find the results interesting.  The survey has by no means
ended, so if you'd like to participate, see my signature below for the URL
to the Adrenal/Insulinoma website.

The number following the possible answer is the number of respondents that
selected that answer.  The number in parenthesis is the percentage.  Note
that because of rounding, the total for each set of answers do not always
add up to 100%.

Question: Sex of ferret
Male 45 (42%)
Female 61 (57%)

Question: Breeder of the ferret
Marshall Farms 68 (64%)
Path Valley 2 (1%)
CDC 8 (7%)
Private 5 (4%)
Unknown 1 (1%)
other  22 (20%)

Question: Age when first diagnosed
0-1yr 1 (1%)
1-2yrs 5 (4%)
2-3yrs 23 (21%)
3-4yrs 28 (26%)
4-5yrs 30 (28%)
5-6yrs 13 (12%)
6-7yrs 5 (4%)
7+yrs  1 (1%)

Question: Other major diseases concurrent with adrenal disease
Other cancer 1 (1%)
Liver disease 2 (1%)
Non-adrenal tumors 11 (10%)
Insulinoma 16 (15%)
Heart Disease 2 (1%)
ECE  0 (0%)
Other 4 (3%)
More than one 5 (4%)
None 65 (61%)

Question: Symptoms first noticed
Hair loss 67 (63%)
Swollen Vulva 12 (11%)
Agressiveness 0 (0%)
Breeding/mating behavior 5 (4%)
Urinary problems 4 (3%)
Other 8 (7%)
Multiple Symptoms  10 (9%)

Question: How was adrenal disease diagnosed
Symptomatically 74 (69%)
Adrenal panel 7 (6%)
Exploratory surgery 10 (9%)
Ultrasound 9 (8%)
X-ray  0 (0%)
Other  6 (5%)

Question: Method of treatment after diagnosis
Surgery 80 (75%)
Prescription drugs 6 (5%)
Natural 5 (4%)
Other 2 (1%)
No treatment  13 (12%)

Question: What drugs were used
None 82 (77%)
Lysodren 7 (6%)
Lupron 5 (4%)
Casodex 1 (1%)
Arimidex 0 (0%)
Drenamin 1 (1%)
Other or Multiple  10 (9%)

Question: If surgery was performed, which gland was removed
No Surgery 24 (22%)
Left 48 (45%)
Right 8 (7%)
Both 22 (20%)
Surgery but neither removed  4 (3%)

Question: After treatment began, how long before symptoms subsided
1-3 months 60 (56%)
3-6 months 8 (7%)
6-12 months 3 (2%)
1+ year 3 (2%)
Symptoms never subsided  32 (30%)

Question: Is ferret consistently exposed to natural light cycles
Yes 69 (65%)
No  37 (34%)

Question: When was ferret neutered/spayed
Before sexual maturity 88 (83%)
After sexual maturity 5 (4%)
Unknown 13 (12%)

Question: What is ferret's primary diet
Kibble 97 (91%)
Kibble & whole animals 1 (1%)
Whole animals only  0 (0%)
Ground meat/bones 2 (1%)
Other  6 (5%)

Question: Where is ferret's primary housing
Indoors 106 (100%)
Outdoors 0 (0%)