From:
Lori Zuccaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 1997 15:01:16 -0500
Although I've emailed and spoke to some of you on the list, I have yet to
make a post.  I feel I should make this post to let you know of a project
I'm working on.  We operate a ferret shelter (Ferret Haven of Texas).  We
live next to a city which is a ferret-free zone (Beaumont, TX).  I'm trying
to get together all the information I can to help in legalizing ferrets in
Beaumont.  There was a recent problem where we picked up a ferret in
Beaumont which was lost and we feared we wouldn't be able to find the owners
since they may be scared to make "lost ferret" signs being that they are
illegal and Beaumont does throw a stink.  Happily, we found the owner who
was visiting from out of town and during the holiday bustle of people coming
and going, the ferret got out of the house.  This was a perfectly healthy
and very happy looking ferret so we were glad to reunite them.  This
happened on Christmas day!!!  Nice ending...not so nice for others.  At any
rate, the animal control officer of Beaumont does not like ferrets and when
we challanged him, he said they were "wild and vicious" and he didn't want a
huge ferret "epidemic" in Beaumont.  I asked him if the neighboring cities
where ferrets were legal had this "epidemic" of ferrets....he didn't
know...how could he know, he said.  He missed my point.  So, I'm now
contacting every single governing board I can to provide me with statements
saying that ferrets are domestic, there is an approved rabies vaccine and
that they are companion animals.  Any help is apprecitated.  I thought some
of you may have information or articles that I don't have.  I'd really love
to hear from Beaumont city residents who will be willing to fight with us.
Wish us luck and we'll keep you informed of how we're doing!!!!

Lori Goats
Ferret Haven