From:
"Dwyer M. Castor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 20:55:43 -0500
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the list.  I joined to read about ferrets and find out more
about them.  Well everything just kind of happened at once, but yes,
yesterday, Sunday, I became the proud Mommy of four ferrets.  They were at a
rescue center.  They have been together there whole lives (2 years).  The
former owner asked her if she would please try to keep them together.

They have been neutered and spayed came with their 4ft cage, 2 hamocks,
fuzzy knit hat (which all 4 try to get in at once), various other items as
well.  I wouldn't have had the heart to have separated them.  They are so
sweet and so special.  I am hooked for life.

The two males are Heckell & Jeckell.  They are Sables.  Jeckell has had
cancer surgery, and takes 1/4 tablet of Prednesone at night.  All I have to
do is put it in a raisin and it is history.  Heckell is kind of nervous
right now.  We are the third home for them since August, 1997.

The two females are Albino, & Sable.  The Albino is Luna.  She loves to
play.  A real character.  The Sable is Ciarra.  She is tiny.  I believe she
thinks she is part monkey with the way she loves to climb the side of the
cage.

I blocked off my family room, ferret proofed it, and let them run for 1-1/2
hours.  The shelter owner hadn't let them out very much due to space.  So
they explored.  Luna, Ciarra, & Jeckell played until I put them back in the
cage.  Heckell played for awhile, then found a afgan, craweled under it and
went to sleep.  I gave Jeckell his pill with raisin treat, then let him go
for it.  When I put them back, Heckell continued to sleep, I wipped out the
raisins, gave one to Jeckell, Luna, & Ciarra.  Heckell didn't seem to be
interested, he laid it beside him and went back to sleep.  I am a little
concerned that he didn't eat it, I will watch him.  I know I am a new Mother
& probably being a little over protective, but I just worry about the little
guy.  Is this normal, please let me know.  I know I will be asking a lot of
silly questions, but I am new at this.  Besides, I want my furrie babies to
be healthy and have the best of everything.

By the way, I have 5 cats too.  Most interesting situation, they are
extremely curious, but there hasn't been any hissing at all.  This is most
unusual.  However there won't be a moment when the ferrets are out, that the
whole adventure isn't supervised, out of everyone's safety.  At least until
I am sure that everyone is used to each other.

Well I could just go on and on about how my "Kids" are the cutiest, but I am
sure that I would hear lots of people saying "No, mine is the cutiest".  So
I guess I shouldn't have went there, but what do all new mom's say?

See you Later,

Karen
Luna, Ciarra, Heckell, & Jeckell