From:
JuliePaul from AOL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 1995 19:30:55 -0400
Hello Everyone,
This is first time posting on the list.  I have a sable colored, three year
old, female ferret named Misty.  Misty just gave me a good scare this week.
 She was in Intensive Care for three days this week after the vet removed her
right adrednal gland and found an Adrenal Cortical Tumor.  I am still waiting
for the results of the biopsy to come back.  I learned that even if she has
Carcinoma, she can be treated successfully with medication.  That was the
best news I heard in three days although I still hope for a benign tumor.

Right now, she is still sleeping a lot but the vet said that's normal after
surgery.  She is on a pleasant tasting antibiotic and she must take Nutra-Cal
four times per day to increase her weight.  She is only 1.2 lbs now and with
her belly and legs shaved, she looks so horribly thin.  I am hoping that she
will soon return to her normal, playful, fuzzy self.

I just learned that Cushings Disease, Adrenal Disease, and different cancers
are common in ferrets.  My ferret book doesn't discuss this and no vet ever
mentioned it to me.  I was feeling bad because I noticed the hair loss but I
thought it was due to the change of seasons into Summer.  I am learning a lot
more now that I am hooked into the Internet.

Hopefull, when Misty recovers, about one month, I will have some funny
stories to share.

Julie
(JuliePaul)