From:
Melanie Hawkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 12:35:40 -0500
My one ferret, Gizmo (5 1/2 years old), has been scratching and scratching
at his body.  The poor guy has scabs all over him - on his neck, back,
legs, etc.  My vet put him on prednisone, and he didn't scratch as much but
still scratched.  I recently took him off pred., and he has been scratching
like a madman.  My vet thinks that he is allergic to something but who
knows what it could be really.  I wash all blankets in a dye and fragrance
free detergent, so know that it isn't the detergent that I use.  I bathe
him once a month also.  Anyway, Giz had been on pred.  for about a month
(given every other day), and I am thinking that I should put him back on
it.  Of course I will talk to the vet before doing so, but was wondering if
anyone else had an extremely itchy ferret.  He has so many scabs on him and
was beginning to worry about my little guy.

Melanie and the gang (Giz, Moser, and Norman)