From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2011 23:06:59 -0800
Hi Everyone:

I had hoped my last post of the 2011 year would be a thanks to all the
great successes the ferret community has accomplished. However, that
will have to wait as it has been brought to my attention of a military
couple and their newest addition; Dot the ferret, who need help. Two
things near and dear to me are ferrets and our military personnel.

Saturday night I was copied into an e-mail response from Mary
McCarty-Houser, State College, Pa. She was on a list of folks in the
ferret community who had been contacted for information and possible
financial help for Dot. Mary and I have partnered up on a few rescues
from around our states borders (NY and Pa.). I am so pleased she
contacted me as we already have the ball rolling to help Dot.

Dot is an older ferret, her first vet thought she was about 4 or 5.
Dot's owner had told a friend he was going to throw her to the
roadside, but the friend intervened. This "friend" took Dot and
eventually posted her on Craig's List in the north country of NY asking
$200.00 for her. This military couple was looking to add a ferret, but
insisted it had to be a rescue - not a pet store purchase. After some
phone conversations, they drove the two hours to meet Dot. Shocked at
what they saw, Amber fell in love at first sight. Apparently so did
Dot. Poor Dot was emaciated, half naked and one of her toenails had
been torn out, uncared for - a bloody mass. She had a small Dot on her
head.

After some months of care, the fur did not return - they were hoping it
was a nutritional issue instead of adrenal. Not to be. Dot has gained
weight, fallen in love with her new ferret family and her humans.
Sadly, the dot that got Dot her name has grown into a large tumor.

Vet care is limited in the North Country and a savvy ferret vet is but
a dream. Amber was able to get Dot a Melatonin implant in October -
there is concern it has done nothing. The vet has also examined Dot's
tumor of the head and declared that surgery would be required, it would
cost $600.00, but that Dot might well not survive it. Adrenal sx would
be $1,000. No mention of a Des implant. No mention of checking a FBG.
Eventually, I will see that that vet gets a copy of the Des study and
implant purchase information. Amoxicillan was prescribed for the tumor.
It appears to have done nothing. I am uncertain if a tissue aspiration
was taken. This vet recommended euthanasia

The GOOD NEWS is that Dot has an obvious zest for life! She plays with
the other ferrets and her Mom and Dad, but has to go back to her cage
because she gets cold missing so much fur.

It seemed to me the first thing necessary was to get Dot to a ferret
Savvy vet. Closest location to Ft. Drum is Rochester, NY. three hours
away. After a few calls and several e-mails, we have been able to
schedule an appt. for Dot with my vet. Doc has agreed to provide these
folks with my 20% discount, I have offered to help by paying for the
exam. This couple is strapped, especially with the holidays so close.
Hubby has returned from Iraq a few months ago and still serving on
base at Ft. Drum. I am always willing to help a ferret family in need
as long as they also make an effort. Amber is reaching out to family,
friends and any agencies she can think of for help. So far limited
funds have been offered.

Doc was the first to to have the Des implants in NY State, he has
those on hand. God Bless this vet, he was so excited to have a new
tool to treat ACD, he only charges us the cost of the implant and an
equal portion of postage and handling for what was ordered. Doc feels
he could probably perform the tumor surgery and implants for around
$600.00, of course an exam is necessary to be more accurate. He has
also agreed to accept payments. I at last feel better knowing we have
brought a totally unattainable situation to one that is attainable to
this family.

Dot will be driving to Rochester Monday, December 26th, where I will
meet her and her Mom, maybe Dad depending on his work schedule. They
will fast Dot along the way and we will do a FBG with my Alpha Trac to
get a line on her BG levels - which will save money too. Once Doc gets
a good look at the tumor he will be able to give us a better idea of
her prognosis. Adrenal will be a secondary concern. Doc figures he can
implant it while she is anesthetized if a tumor surgery is carried out.
I am anticipating a recommendation for a tissue aspiration which will
probably have to be send out to a pathology lab. I will post more
information as we have it.

It is a tough time in the year to ask folks to share any extra cash
they might have, but I don't know how else to help Dot and her
ferrants. Last week I posted about my Nibbles, a HS foster/adoptee. We
still have a surgery on her tumor to deal with. It always seems if our
own kids don't need help someone else's do. I have tried to be a true
ferret advocate and supporter to many shelters and individuals across
the country and Canada. Please help me help this military family and
little Dot. Right now it is all I want for Christmas. My nephew was
awarded the Purple Heart for his injuries in combat on his second tour
in Iraq. He was my joy as a young man and has adapted pretty well to
his injuries. I will always support and honor our military men, woman
and their ferrets (probably other pets as well.)

Any monies collected beyond the vet bill will be returned to donors
(plz put a name and return addy with your information ) or sent to
the Support Our Shelters Blizzard Emergency Fund. If you would like
to help and are able to do so you may send a donation to me at
[log in to unmask] or mail a check to South Towne Veterinary
Hospital 4084 West Henrietta Rd Rochester, NY 14623 Attention Dot the
ferret. You may be able to pay via credit card over the phone at
585-334-1550, ask for Tara, Office Manager for clarification. (I will
check that out further) or you may mail a card or check to me at Cathy
Ryan, 5775 Brockport Spencerport Rd. Brockport, NY 14420.

If you are unable to donate money I think this family would love to
receive a card of Hope and thanks for their service to our country.

It has been difficult for many this year with pet losses, family and
financial issues or job losses. I hope the coming days and year are
better for us all. Thank you for any kindness you might share.

Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions or suggestions.

Gratefully,
Cathy Ryan