Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 20:47:50 -0600
Hey all.  Please don't stone me for asking stuff that is often discussed on
the FML.  I've never really had a problem with this.

One of our ferrets, Static (MF silver female approx.  4 mos.) has recently
begun to bite.  I think it started as a game, but I'm not sure.  Most of our
other ferrets don't "bite" but they might put their mouth on you while
playing.  Static now bites quite ferociously (especially feet, but she
doesn't restrict herself to just feet).  She hasn't broken the skin, so at
this point it's just a bad habit I really want to break.

I've heard people list reasons why a ferret might bite.  Fear was the most
often listed, I believe.  Also I've heard that they might bite when they are
in pain, they want attention, or they play with you like they would play
with a ferret.  I've tried to reason out why Static is biting to try to
determine the best way to stop her, but she has nothing to fear (she's not a
scaredy cat, either), she doesn't act or look like she's in pain, we play
with her a lot, and she's never bitten like this until recently.  I'm
stumped.  I've tried thumping her nose (I'm not fond of this type of
discipline), scruffing her, hissing at her, and time out.  Really nothing
works so far.  Hissing at her gave her pause for a moment, but then she went
on with biting my feet (at least if she bit my finger, I could try gagging
her (ouch!  she just bit my ankle again).  Anyone have any suggestions?  I
just want to cure her before she learns that it's okay to bite us.

Well, thanks a lot for all the advice.  I know that this subject has been
beaten into the ground, so if someone would like to respond, you can write
to me personally.

Take Care.

Kelly
Reverend Maynard:  "when you grow older and wiser, you'll realize that the
only place that tastes good on them humans is the crook of their elbows."
Cosette:  "No, the humans don't taste good at all."
Static:  "Mmm...finger licking good..." (chomp)
Magkij znak:  "hey, can I try that?"
                                   --->Kelly
 |\__\           /__/|          Head of Animal Optometry
 |  o o         o o  |          "Damn you, Let the Rabbits wear glasses"
/    =p=    =q=    \          University of Houston

(everybody's gotta love crappy ascii art...)
Reverend Maynard: "I'm not looking at you."  Edie: "Snore, squeak."
** "The following sentence is true.  The previous sentence is false." **