From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:01:01 -0400
Sounds like your vet is right on top of the sting or bite problem and
likely tried a response for an anaphylactic reaction if it worsened later
yesterday.

Bleach: we have had a ferret almost die from stomach bleeding after
getting just a tiny bit of bleach.  The place had actually been cleaned
down and wiped down but we were told that sometimes all it can take is a
drop or three.  When something like this happens call the 1-900-680-0000
(if the number in our records is correct) animal poison information
number or if using a credit card there is their alternative number
1-800-548-2423; also keep a close watch and be ready to get to the vet
PRONTO.  Know where to go for emergency care if your vet is away, too.
Through the above 800 number you can also arrange to purchase a
publication on plant poisons if you need one.  We have other refs and
haven't seen this one, so don't know how good this one is.

Lumps: depending on exactly where they are, on size, or appearance, on
their feel, etc.  they could be a range of things.  When in doubt get to
the vet.  This list can never replace a vet.

Ferrets are greater than the sums of their parts.  I noticed that NO ONE
here was unable to find love for their ferrets which didn't have all parts
working.  That's just further proof that the people here are special and
work hard to stay informed so that they can behave most responsibly and
lovingly.  Do not make the incorrect assumption that such an extreme
degree of caring responsibility is the norm among those who do not seek
information, and do remember that they often are in the majority.  As
long as there is a situation in which only a small minority of ferrets is
permitted to breed (as currently exists) does it not make sense to make
sure that those individuals are of hardiest stock while also maintaining a
reasonable amount of genetic variation?  Steve and I value health and the
critter's ease in day-to-day living over a "look" for the critters' sake.
Just do.  When push comes to shove appearances don't mean much.  Just as
we can love a deaf blaze we also can love a hearing ferret who isn't
anything more "fancy" than a siamese, a chocolate, or a sable.  Just as it
worries us when some can't love deaf ferrets, so it also worries worries
us when some can't love "plain" ferrets rather than fancies.  So, in
relation to the one allele for that one genetic conditions discussed it
boils down to this:

Form before function, or function before form?