From:
Cris Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:14:33 +0100
>From:    Donna R Clark <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: recent rescues
>.....If they had taken just a little time to look into the matter they
>would have found out that ferrets do take time and that they are not
>throw-away pets when they get to be too much trouble.  I don't mind taking
>these little fuzzies, what I do mind is peoples irresponsibility when it
>comes to pets.  Should it not be instilled in everyone (from birth) that a
>pet is a commitment.  And when the cuteness and the newness goes away that
>little animal still needs the person or people...
>I am sorry if I offened anyone, I did not mean to....

Cuteness that goes away ????  Nah It dont happen... They just get cuter
each day as more and more of thier personality reveals itself.  It
concerns me that I keep reading about adoptions going sour and the ferts
being passed out to anyone who will take them.  When I adopted Bubbles
from West Wales Ferret Welfare, I signed a contract that binds me to
several obligations, Including that IF I can no longer care for my baby
boy (that would need something like total paralysis to happen) I am
obligated to notify WWFW so that he may be rehomed by them.  I have a
loose leaf Binder here that is my "ferret bible" the contract is the
first thing you see when it is opened, along with a medical record form I
printed out.  I wasnt totally sure what I was getting into with a ferret
in the place... but I went into it with my eyes wide open..  and yes
learning has been fun, and I still have so much to learn.  and anyhow ALL
pets take time..  that is the nature of pet ownership, its like saying
having a bath uses water..  what is wrong with these people?

IMHO, the people who adopted these two babies are probably "serial pet
dumpers" A friend of mine who was involved in cat rescue once said she
believed that it was a form of immaturity usually found in small children
and shown by the way that toys become "last weeks news".  It is a shame
that there are no ways of detecting this prior to adoption.  But I wonder
If ALL shelters have reviewed thier adoption paperwork to ensure that this
obligation is contained.  Also would a cooling off period be appropriate
for "non ferret people" (i.e. those propective adopters not already known
to the shelter) Much has been said here in recent months about shelter
depression and bonding, and I would guess that being shipped here and
there with different people every few weeks is confusing and depressing
for the fuzzies involved.  (this assumes that they were adopted from a
shelter)

Right now, I have arrived at the conclusion that this place can take
another fuzzbutt and that Bubbles life would be happier if he had another
fuzz around him for company, mischief, and play (cats are real cowards !!
lol), There could be a homeless Fuzz out there somewhere that I can help
to have a happier life.  Ulrike at WWFW is "keeping me in mind" in case
another homeless fuzzy adult comes up, and if Bubbles and I are lucky
enough to have this happen, I will sign again with a clear conscience,
knowing that barring some personal catastrophy with my health involving
basic mobility I am committing myself to the fukidz to provide a loving
stable home, good nutrition plenty of playtimes and free range access, and
medical care whenever needed FOR THIER REMAINING LIFETIME (and that will
be way to short for me).

I guess this sort of thing comes down to screening as thorougly as
possible.  Part of the adoption contract gives WWFW the right to call
round to see Bubbles at home, but it may be that I take him over there if
another fuzzy "comes up" for a meet on more neutral territory, that way we
can see if they get along ok and Ulrike can see for herself how he is
making out with me.

Donna, those li'l furkidz got lucky .... they met up with you.... My guess
is they have a nice clean place to live, lots of playties out and about,
and are now (at last) properly cared for.I hope that others in the same
position are also as lucky.  This is not a flame directd at anyone... just
an expression of my disgust with some parts of society who treat other
lives as if just mere entertainment .

Cris Page ....owned by ... Bubbles..... (" where dat cat at ? I wanna
plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay") and the crew