Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 22:57:01 -0700
I wish I could have posted this a few days ago, but was away from my
computer and email.

On October 23rd while visiting family in Washington I decided to check out
the fuzzies at Petco in Mount Vernon, Washington.  My husband and I walked
into the store and found about 15 ferrets in a standard (by petstore
standards) plexiglass cage.  Most of the babies were sleeping, a couple
were eating but one was laying in the middle of the cage, alone.  I saw
him try to get on his feet, but he could not stand.  It took me about 15
seconds to realize this guy was in trouble.  I went to the cashier and
asked for help looking at the ferrets.  I went and waiting by the cage.
No one came, I went back, by now realizing this ferrets was in serious
trouble.  She again, paged someone to ferrets.  I waited, and watched as
this ferret started gasping.  I got really angry and went to her again and
told her to get someone over there NOW.  I went back and found he now had
blood coming from his nose.  I went back to her and said 'there is a ferret
in there with blood coming from his nose.  I want someone over there NOW."
By now 10 minutes had passed, I am about to throw a fit watching this
ferret suffer and hearing her page over and over for someone to come help.
She was the only one at the registers, and had 5 customers lined up.
Finally I looked down (it makes me cry to think of all of this) and that
little ferret opened his mouth, gasp through the blood in his mouth, and
fell still.

She had finally gotten someone to cover the register and she came over to
unlock the cage, I told her it was too late, he had died.  I told her I
wanted names, and the managers name.  She said well, he is right there at
the register, why don't you talk to him.  She was upset as well and knew I
was not a happy person.

I talked to the manager, Paul.  I saw no tattoos on the ferrets and I asked
him where he got them.  He said they stopped buying from Marshall's because
they were coming in too young.  He said they were getting them local, but
wouldn't say exactly where.  He said he just got this order in on Thursday
and it was the first order from this company.  He was aware of the pages
from the clerk and one of them was sick.  I told him no, he is not sick, he
is DEAD!  He was surprised.  He told everyone working that the ferrets were
under immediate quarantine.  They were hanging a sign on the cage as I left
in tears.  He assured me that they would all be examined by the vet on
Monday and he would follow up with the company regarding this baby dying.

I don't know what else I could have done, but it still weighs on my mind. I
don't know if there is anyone in the Mount Vernon area that could go and
check on these babies. I called on Sunday as a potential buyer and asked if
they had any ferrets. I was told yes, but they were quarantined and would
not be available until later this week. At least he kept his word on that.

Skeeter, can you please look for this little baby who came to the bridge on
Saturday, alone and scared.  He had no name, and only two people who loved
him for a short 10 minutes.

Anyone that can help check on these babies, please write to me.

B.K.
A ferret mom in Las Vegas