From:
Leigh Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 1998 12:40:05 EDT
This is to Sandy:

I realized my first ferret's attachement to old purses very quickly.  I had
a small wallet purse that suddenly dissappeared.  I eventually found it in
Spazmelda's drawer.  (She claimed a bottom drawer in the kitchen by the
dishwasher for her sleeping hole).  She had somehow dragged, pushed, and
pulled this purse in through the bottom of the drawer, through the back of
the cabinet and into her drawer, and was curled up around it sleeping
contentedly.  She looked at me accusingly when I took it away and followed
me back to the living room.  I couldn't bear those pleading eyes so I
cleaned all my junk out and put it back down on the floor.  She immediately
started pulling it back towards her drawer and, I'm sure, spent a
thourougly pleasant hour or two getting it back where she wanted it.  It
never again left her drawer (except for an occasional wipedown) until we
moved to a new apartement and started keeping the ferrets (now ferrets, not
ferret) in a cage.  We of course put the purse in the cage and Spazmelda
would still sleep with it quite often.  I have no idea why, but she
apparantly found something very comforting about it, and after we had to
have her put to sleep we buried her back at my husband's parents farm in a
perfect little corner by the chimney and put her purse in the grave with
other toys she loved, and her hammock.  I hope wherever she is now she has
her little purse to sleep with!

My one suggestion after recently having a ferret with an intestinal
blockage... if the purse is leather do inspect it fairly often to make
sure it is not being chewed on and eaten.

Leigh and Fargo, Fonzi, Kami, and Moon Boy