Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 09:47:45 -0700
Carla....

Regarding the Colorado laws about the practice of veterinary medicine, what
seems to be missing are the paragraphs dealing with the self administration
of meds.

In most states, one can administer to their own livestock with no
penalties.  It is when one starts to administer to livestock other than
their own that state laws are violated.

If I am an employee of a farm or ranch or whatever, I am permitted to
administer meds as needed, as directed by the owner/operators with no
recriminations from the state.

There are gray areas, of course.  If I run a ferret shelter, I AM permitted
to treat my own ferrets or ferrets under my direct supervision, ie: give
rabies and distemper shots.  If I out-shelter a fuzzy to say, my neighbor,
is that animal still considered 'under my supervision' so that I might
still continue with a vaccination program?  If I adopt out a ferret and
there is provisional rider on the adoption papers that says I will always
have control over that fuzzy..ie: If you give it up, it HAS to come back
to me, can I still administer vaccinations legally?

Any attorney's present?

MC, The Rude One
(With Snorkle, Tuzigoot, and Bancho.  In spirit, Bubba, Billy-Bob, and
Garret)