From:
Michael Schieman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 20:34:37 EDT
Rainey & Stormin wote:

<...PawPaw? All the rest of he FML's resident experts...>

Well, I certainly don't consider my self to be an expert.  'Resident
Buffoon' might be much more accurate in my case.  However, I have studied
psychololgy and have been priveledged to share my life with quite a few
beasties over the years.  These have included cats, dogs, ferrets and two or
three siblings.  So, I'll offer a few observations.

To begin with, I'll have to agree that ferrets are the most intelligent
critters I have thus far encountered.  I doubt that I'll get much flak from
this list on that point!  They are highly energetic, independent, extremely
curious, excellent at problem solving, opinionated, playful, couldn't care
less what anyone thinks of them, and just plain fun to have around.  Too bad
we don't have a presidential candidate like that!

Dogs are not quite so bright.  Their main pleasent attribute is that they
will do anything to please the people they live with.  They are extremely
loyal and protective of those they have come to associate with friendship,
comfort and food.  They are fairly easy to toilet train because of their
desire to please, coupled with the fact they don't care too much for having
their sensitive noses whacked with a rolled up newspaper.  They seldom stray
unless they are mistreated or find someone who gives them more attention
than they are used to receiving.  Usually, they are the most loyal of
companion pets.

Cats are a bit more intelligent than dogs.  They are also insufferable
snobs.  Their main concern in life is maintaining their dignity and sense of
decorum.  When they embarass themselves, they bathe and hope that no one
noticed the fact that they have done so.  They usually have the benefit of
their momma cat to teach them such things as looking precious, hunting, and
using the litter box.  They are also very territory conscious.  Once they
have established their home territory, they seldom stray from it unless
conditions there have become become intollerable or cause serious injuries
to their dignity.

Ferrets are quite the opposite from dogs and cats - and quite a few levels
of intelligence above them.  Their view of life appears to be that it is a
constant opportunity for adventure, mischief, and play.  They have
absolutely no fear of anything made in heaven or upon earth.  This does not
mean that they have no respect for the rest of creation.  It simply means
that they don't take any of it too seriously.  In fact, I have often
observed Tater and Odie in what I can find no other words to describe than
that they are in an attitude of prayer and thanksgiving.

Ferrets are very independent.  They have no need of places or things,
although they will find a way to play with whatever is available in whatever
place they find themselves.  They are also very good at swiping things and
stashing them for future use.  They have no need to bury their poops and
pees as cats do in order to hide from predators, because ferrets *know* that
they are invincible.  The word predator does not exist in their vocabulary.
They know no fear.  An open door, to them, means an opportunity for
adventure, things to be curious about, expanded opportunities for fun, and a
chance to see what it is that the might have missed in their present
surroundings.  All of these tendencies make it imperatave that we take steps
to keep them from exploring the great outdoors without our supervision.
There are many dangers out there that they simply don't believe in -
sometimes these dangers take the form of ignorant humans.

And yes, ferrets can be the most affectionate critters on this earth.
Unlike dogs they do not seek to please.  Unlike cats they do not have
devious motives or hidden agendas.  When a ferret takes time out of his busy
schedule, crawls up on your chest, looks you deeply in the eyes, yawns and
twists so that his favorite scritching spot is in easy reach of your
fingers, you know that your ferret loves you - without doubt or reservation.
Now don't that nice?

There is one other thing that ferrets are - they are teachers.  Tater and
Odie have taught me that God does indeed have a sense of humor.  That is a
lesson I hope to learn anew every morning for the rest of my life.

Many much loves,

Paw Paw
http://members.gnn.com/emssandy/index.htm