From:
Joanne Gelormino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 17:22:09 -0400
Hi all,

My 7 year old post-op (left) adrenal ferret, Slinky, had been straining to
pee the past few weeks but was always producing a good amount of urine.  I
made an appointment with the vet to get him checked out, and I had to rush
him in earlier that morning because he blocked and kept straining and
crying.  My wonderful vet, Dr. Wil Barrios, of the East Hartford Animal
Clinic, was able to flush him out under anesthesia.  He has an infection
and is being treated with antibiotics.  Dr. Barrios flushed out a lot of
mucous.  This is the second infection he has had this year.  The first one
necessitated the removal of the spleen.  For those of you with elderly
adrenal ferrets, please keep an eye on your ferret's ability to urinate,
especially in males.  I got Slinky to the vet in time, but I feel I should
have brought him in sooner.  I wasn't as concerned as his temperature was
normal, unlike when he had the first infection.  I was afraid that the vet
was going to have to do the rerouting surgery, but that wasn't necessary.
Slinky had a rough day yesterday and is taking it easy today.  His blood
work was very good.  That is another thing to get checked regularly in
older ferrets.

Regards,
Moxie and Slinky