From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 00:07:01 -0400
>What is a sure-fire way to remove all fleas & ticks from a ferret?
>
>I just had a neighbor drop his off that had been running outside with
>the dogs(?!) and he is absolutely covered and sick.

Dear XXXXXXX -

There is a lot of information on products to treat fleas and ticks in the
archive - and I suggest that you (and everyone else) review it.

But the best way to IMMEDIATELY remove fleas and ticks is to free up your
schedule for about an hour, take this ferret to the sink, wet him down
well, and go carefully through his fur and remove them by hand.  Use some
baby shampoo - this often immobilizes the fleas so that you can catch the
little buggers.  Throw them in a bowl of water so they drown.

Technologically advanced?  Not really.  But if he is covered - it's the
way I always go.  You can use the other products after you've gotten the
vast majority off by hand.

I guess I'm an old-fashioned guy.

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM, DACVP