From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 19:20:05 -0500
RE:   RESPONSE TO QUESTION about the AFA ADV Fund

On March 3, 2004, Barbara Grisowold wrote the following in the FML:
>I have some questions about the AFA ADV Research Fund, and I am hoping
>someone on this list can answer them......
>
>My questions are:
> 1. When will the money be sent?  and
> 2. Is the AFA still collecting donations or not?........

*                      *                        *
The American Ferret Association, Inc., (www.ferret.org) responds:

In 2003 the American Ferret Association's Aleutian Disease Virus (ADV)
research grant fund totaling $4032 was awarded in its entirely to the
University of Georgia ADV project team.  This team, headed by Heather
Wilson, DVM, Dipl. ABVP-avian, (Assistant Professor Avian/ Exotic
Animal Medicine), is developing an ADV antibody test, that when used in
conjunction with the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test that detects
ADV viral DNA particles ("antigen"), should provide a valuable diagnostic
and screening tool to identify AD infection in ferrets at various stages
of the disease.  From this research Dr. Wilson hopes to one day develop a
vaccine to prevent ADV.  Dr. Wilson's article about this project, as well
as other articles and information on ADV will be reported in the upcoming
issue of the AMERICAN FERRET REPORT, the official member newsletter of
the American Ferret Association.

BACKGROUND
The American Ferret Association, Inc., (AFA) initiated a grants program
in 1999 to support research that would benefit the health and welfare
of ferrets.  In May 1999, following the tragic accidental death of AFA
member veterinarian Pamela Slack, the fund was renamed: "The Pamela
Slack, DVM, Memorial Research Grant fund ["Memorial fund"]." To be
eligible to receive a grant from the American Ferret Association,
researchers are required to submit a grant application that includes
a research proposal.  These applications are reviewed by a panel of
experts and ranked by merit.

All donations submitted to the AFA Memorial fund have been gone towards
medical research for the benefit of ferrets.  At the request of the AFA
membership donations made between 1999 and 2002 could be specfically
marked for research on Aleutian Disease.  Following last year's award,
this AFA program is no longer active.  But this does not mean that AFA
research funds cannot be awarded in the future to those conducting ADV
research, only that donations are not being targeted for any particular
condition at this time.  Proposals are being reviewed on a competitive
basis.

Donations are continually being sought for the Pamela Slack, DVM Memorial
Research Grant fund, and because the AFA is a nonprofit, tax-exempt
501(c)(3) educational organization recognized by the Internal Revenue
Service, such donations may be tax deductible.

INFORMATION & INQUIRIES
The American Ferret Association appreciates your interest in its
programs.  As a nonprofit organization that relies on volunteers, AFA's
website may not always be current, although efforts are being made to
provide content updates on a more regular basis.  Information on AFA's
programs, including its research grants program, are reported in the
AMERICAN FERRET REPORT, as well as the AFA website (www.ferret.org).
The AFA also hosts Ferret Expos and veterinary conferences, which provide
the latest findings in ferret medicine presented by experts from around
the country in an effort to keep veterinary professionals apprised of the
newest procedures and treatments available for the ferret.

It should also be noted that while AFA officers, staff and members may
participate as individuals in the Ferret Mailing List, the AFA does not
maintain an official presence on this Listserve.  Inquiries regarding
the American Ferret Association and AFA's programs should be submitted
directly to the AFA by e-mail: [log in to unmask]; by fax: 516-908-5215, or
toll-free, by telephone: 1-888-FERRET-1 (USA only).

AFA MISSION
The American Ferret Association, Inc., incorporated in the State of
Maryland in 1992 as a nonprofit, tax-exempt educational organization, was
founded in 1987 with the following Mission:

To PROMOTE:  the domestic ferret as a companion animal
To PROTECT:  the ferret from anti-ferret legislature, mistreatment,
             neglect, unsound breeding practices and needless scientific
             research.
To PROVIDE:  up to date information concerning veterinarians, shelters,
             breeders and research data.

AFA looks forward to your participation.