From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 12:44:16 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    pat martin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret sickness
>Approximately 10 days ago my ferrets (I have four; ages 2-3.5) started to
>pass green stools that were loose and watery.  In addition, they were very
>"mucussy".  In addition, I noticed minor vomiting from one of the ferrets
>at about that time.  Although I have not seen any vomiting since then...

These cases are tough sometimes to accurately diagnose.  I typically start
on a course of treatment based on symptoms.  1) pepto-bismol, 2) amoxicillin
antibiotics, 3) sucralfate if symptoms of GI ulceration, and 4) force feed
if needed.

>From:    tjohnso1 <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ear tumors
>Some of you may remember my writing to the list for advice about my sick
>ferret-his symptoms were not eating well or pooping well, and dragging his
>rear legs a bit.  Then he seemed to recover, was eating great and pooping
>normally after a course of antibiotics and a vitamin shot.

A lot of cancers in the ear canel of ferrets are the same types as cats
(squamous cell carcinomas for example).  Nothing really exotic about the
types ferrets get.

>From:    Clare Sebok <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: question about hepatitis
>Does anyone know whether ferrets can get hepatitis from a cat?

Your ferret is probably safe. Most causes are not contagious.
>From:    Tanya Peters <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Heartworms
>Do ferrets need heartworm medicine?

Ferrets do get Heartworm but there risk is very, very low. A lot depends on
where you live, local incidence, etc.

>From:    John & Sandy Lazdins <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Biting Ferrets/Bladder stones
>2. It was also bought up that ferrets shouldn't be fed mainly dry food -
>it should only be fed in limited quantities because of the risk of bladder
>stones or crystals

In cats, one minor risk factor for the development of bladder stones is dry
food.  No one has even studied this yet in ferrets to my knowledge.  Bladder
stones are infrequent enough that I would not change diet.  If your ferret
develops a stone, considering wetting down dry food would be one of many
treatment possibilites.

>From:    Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]> [and]
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Oreo: Lysodren Questions - Vets/All???!
>Oreo is going to start Lysodren treatments for her reoccurring adrenal
>problem.

According to reports, mixing lysodren with a liquid causes degradation of
the active ingredient over the period of 2 weeks.  Due to that length of
time, pharmacies should make capsules of powder versus mixing it in a
liquid.  However, you can open the capsule, mix the lysodren with ferratone
and let your ferret eat that.

>From:    Johan Folkeson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Where to put needle & B-types
>I will soon be the master of a young ferret and have a couple of questions
>to the expertice on fml.  I'm not sure the vet will know where to put the
>vaccine shot.

There were some ancedotal stories from ferret owners who thought the
incidence of vaccine reactions would be less if the vaccine is given in the
rear half of the ferret versus the neck.  Immune system wise, this doesn't
make any sense.

Anywhere under skin will work.

>From:    Heather Joan <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: distemper vaccine
>My ferret Jasper has had an allergic reaction to the "approved" ferret
>(feline) distemper vaccine, 3 out of the past four years.  These reactione
>happen even when the injection is preceeded with one which is Benadryl.  As

Yes, the vaccinated ferrets could be what we term fomites.  That is, a
physical carrier of distemper.  ANything can be a fomite, even you.  That's
why it is important to wash throughly after handling ferrets that might be
sick.

>From:    Laura Young <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: pharoh and seizures
>Hello all!  I had a terrible scare tonight, Pharoh(my newly adopted ferret)
>had a seizure while I was scruffing him.  I wanted to check out his ears to
>see if they needed cleaning and everything was ok at first then he started
>twitching.  At first I thought it was the regular I want down twitch, but
>when I put him down he fell over and just layed there.

The number one cause of seizures in ferrets is hypoglycemia. The stress of
scruffing him may have cause the blood sugar to go too low. Have you vet run
a 4 hour fasted blood sugar.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA