From:
Georgina Barratt-See <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 18:29:16 +1100
>One of the issues I have is to do with 'heat stress'.  I have read that
>above 27.C (81.F) is bad for a ferret.  I live in Sydney, Australia.  An
>example of a summer's day in Sydney would be today with 33.C (90.F), 80%
>humidity [outside]...
>How suitable is this for a ferret?  If it is unsuitable then maybe having
>ferrets is not such a ... hot idea.  Any ferret owners with experience or
>knowledge with ferrets in similar climates?

Dear Pablo,
Although I'm not the most ferret-knowledgeable person (I've been owned by
my two ferrets Tabitha and Endora for just on a year), in one sense I'm the
best person to reply to your message, as I too live in Sydney (in Maroubra
in the Eastern Suburbs).  The way I'm dealing with the heat at the moment
is as follows:

My ferret cage is in the backyard, on the south side of a tall shed, so
that they're in the shade all day and have plenty of air circulating
around.  I make sure they have plenty of water from a water dispenser, as
well as a fresh bowl of water (large and weighed down so they don't knock
it over :) and also freeze a hot water bottle each night (which provides
them with their own personal "cold water bottle.")  I've seen both of them
lying on their back with their belly in the air to expose their underside
to the breeze.  So far, they haven't seemed to suffer any ill effects,
though they're both just over a year old, and are quite healthy.

Hope this helps,
Your fellow Aussie FMLer
Georgina