From:
LEO HUSER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 06:51:24 -0500
OK.BIG thanks out to Melissa Roberts, Melissa Hooper, and Perry White
about the ending of the debate.  I have to agree, that instead of sitting
on the computer taking the time to go over and over about everyone who
has a shelter, rescue, or whatever you may want to define it as, why not
take care of the ferrets in your charge, and worry about them?  This
debate has gotten kind of out of control, and I know that everyone has a
passion for what they believe in.  Believe me, I sure do!  But, instead
of airing it out in "public", some comments are just meant to be kept to
ones self.  The FML should be about answering questions, supporting the
transportation of ferrets, medical issues, etc. etc.  POSITIVE things!
(or so I thought)  Ferrets are fun-loving little creatures, and are also
a quite a bit of work, if you have a number of them, or even one!  Let's
talk about the ferrets, and not the people trying to help them.  People
may be in over their heads with animals, but at least they are putting
their sweat and hardwork to take care of one of God's creatures.  God
put them here on earth, and He appointed some of us to take care of the
animals.  Let's let it go at that.  If someone has it in their heat to do
that, let them do it, without giving them a hard time.

If there is anyone who wants to debate about things, go to the place in
question, and come back with tons of evidence, and then you may have a
vaild point.  Maybe I missed the posts of people who have been to all
the places and stayed for long perios of time, and have a reason for the
not-stop debate.  I have tried to ignore so much, and read around the
posts.  But it is hard.  The debate is kind of like going to court to
try to put someone in jail for a crime, without any solid evidence.
Hearsay just doesn't work.  Words just do not work.  You need physical,
substantial evidence to do so.  You need evidence de bene esse.  You need
evidence that is ex aequo et bono.  I could go on in more legal lingo,
but I won't.  Annoying isn't it?  ( I am laughing, is anyone else?)

There seems to be a large number of people who are frustrated with the
recent content of the FML.  I have receieved TONS of personal e-mails
about how fed up people are with the debate and getting Webster and his
dictionary involved.  Again, I am new to this FML, but having ferrets
for some time, I am seeing why maybe I never signed up for it origianlly.
I enjoyed it up to this point.  I enjoyed all of the HAPPY things that
were posted!  I miss those!  Please.anyone with happy news or something
that won't spur a debate/rumor, or whatever you want to define it, I am
begging you .POST IT!  We need the energy from good things to talk about,
not negative things.  We need positive energy, not negative energy.
There is already so much negative stuff going on in the world, why do
we have to continue it here?  Ferrets make us laugh, they make us smile,
and they make us cry.  Think of that.

I have so many wonderful things to talk about and questions to ask, and
I feel it pointless, as people want to seem to go back to the shelter
issue, and dissect that some more.  There really isn't much more that can
be said, except the same things, just worded differently.  Is it possible
to let it go, and get back to helpful topics?  I about lost my hair when
the feral ferret debate started, and I actually quit reading the digest
for some time, hoping it would go away.  And, it did!  Maybe I will do
the same for this, but then again, I would miss out on the few good
things that are posted.  Maybe if I click my heals together and chant,
and tornado will come and drop a house down on the issue, so we can get
back to normal.  Problem is, I don't have the crazy, red, glittery shoes.
Anyone have a pair?

Hey, just trying to make a point, and return to the serious topics at
hand.  Medical issues, advances in ferret care, transportation of
ferrets.these are important issues that we should be discussing and
applauding.

Well, enough of this.  I have some snow to shovel before work.  When will
it ever stop falling!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  Can I ever get my car washed?
When o when will it warm up?  Grrrrrrr.

Love to all the hairballs and their owners!

Angela and her fuzzy crew (and the darn snow that seems to keep falling
on our heads)

[Moderator's note: Well, the debate has moved to discussing if a person
with a 501(c3) deserves that status if they shelter ferrets but do not
adopt them out.  The answer in this case is clear to me -- of course they
do -- but I'm not a tax attorney, so the readers' opinion may differ.

I agree the debate has not much further to run, although I do think it is
entirely appropriate for the FML.  Many people here run shelters and this
is an aspect of running a shelter.  We all have different ways of doing
things and we are all here to learn.  (Well, almost -- one of two hang
around just to stir things up, but their posts haven't been approved much
lately!)  Further, I don't feel the debate is excluding other topics.

One thing I find disturbing is that you are a new subscriber yet you've
"receieved TONS of personal e-mails about how fed up people are with the
debate...."  I try to encourage FMLers to write to me with their opinions
and, indeed, MANY do.  But I've only gotten a couple of opinions about
this debate.  If you've gotten "tons," then I'm upset, since I think I'm
probably in a far better position to do something about stopping it.  So,
please, FMLers: don't be afraid to give me your opinions -- I won't bite!

Angela, thank you for your opinion -- I appreciate that and look forward
to any others too.  BIG]