From:
Shelley Abare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 08:51:27 -0700
I finally talked my parents into letting me bring the fur kids with me
for a visit to Michigan.  We kept them in the finished basement and let
them run for an hour a.m. and p.m. at least, every day.  Dad wasn't
overly fond of them, but found it funny that I didn't know they could
climb stairs.  (big suprise to me!).  Mom, on the other hand, was very
interested in meeting the kids.  She came downstairs in shorts and bare
feet.  Brownie, my little ambassador of good will, ran over to play.  I
was busy cleaning the cage and not looking at what they were doing.  Mom
says "OO", "OO", and starts scooting backwards quickly while saying
something about biting.  Without turning to look I said, "no mom, don't
worry, he doesn't bite, he just wants to play".  She continiued to scoot
backwards, trying to get away from my wild attack ferrets.  LOL.  After
several more comments about biting I turned to look.  Brownie had her
around the calf and was grabbing her with his arms and mouth!  He does
this to me all the time and it's an invitation to play.  But poor mom
thought he was trying to take her leg off!  I "rescued" her from the
ferocius beast while laughing my head off.  (he didn't even leave a mark,
he was mouthing her, not biting).  Mom and the ferrets eventually became
good freinds.  So much so that whenever she came down stairs all five
would go running to her for cuddles and treats.  (she found out that they
would eat fruit loops if she broke them up very small for them).  I was
constantly having to remind her that ferrets, like real human kids, don't
need all that sugar!

So the trip was a success and Dad even let me leave a cage up there so I
wouldn't have to haul it back and forth when ever I drive up.  (that's
dad launguage for the ferrets can come back).  The ferrets were a huge
success and my sister and sister-in-law both want some.  So they are both
getting "ferrets for dummies" from me and I gave them the address of the
FML and the number to a local shelter.  The nieces and nephews came for a
mini family reunion too, and they loved my babies.

Next time I'll tell you all about ferrets, harnesses, and pet carriers
with open tops.  (aka how to get five ferrets into a hotel without
loosing your mind).

Shelley and the five little monsters