From:
poleKATparsons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 05:27:43 -0700
>From:    Jodie Broleman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: close call [open window]

jodie...and all...

what we do here, on the windows that do not have specially made screen
inserts that my husband custom made, is...

we open the windows at the top...not at the bottom where the ferrets might
reach...even if there is a regular screen on it...

we went one step further on those windows...we screwed the screen in...so
it is still removeable by unscrewing it...[as we have huge cats...one of
which pushed out the UPSTAIRS screen and fell to the ground...good thing
it was my second youngest cat and there was grass down there...but was HE
scared!...not to mention ME when i realized Beej was OUTSIDE looking IN!]

as for the custom screens...the window is measured...[you can do only big
enough for where the window is to be open...or you can do the whole
window...depends on you and your finances]... he made a frame of 1 by 1's
and stapled a wire mesh we got at a home improvement store...sturdy 1/4
inch mesh [not screening!...wire mesh!]...and inserted it... staple side
OUT...[so they can not push it apart]...it can be made to be permanent...
or removeable...in addition to your existing screen...or in place of it...
or over it...

for our screen door...he bought a cheap one...and attached this mesh over
the whole thing...and put a "hook and eye" latch on it [low] so they could
not push it open...now it is ferret safe...and i do not have to give up
the fresh breeze and all when it is nice outside...

hope this helps you...and anyone else with this problem...

HUGS!!!
kat

p.s...sorry for your scare...i have been there...it is very scary...

=====
KITY=^..^=KAT and the Kollektive [19]
http://www.geocities.com/ferretlover97

Missing pieces of my heart...Marcel, LittleWhiteGirl, Narmy, OldGuy,
D'weezle, Pye, and the biggest pieces of my heart...Sonny, Charlie and
Geezer!

My ferret Afghans! http://www.geocities.com/crochetkat/ferret
Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened.
Think about it!