From:
Diana Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 20:10:39 PST
Dear friends,

You know that every now and then you just get that feeling?  Well on
Tuesday morning I found my Roxie Bear on the bottom of her cage and she was
very cold and weak.  I imediatly treated her as if it was low blood suager
and within minutes she responded.  A little to quick perhaps.  The vet was
here at noon and she was much better though her temp was still low and her
heart beat was very slow and irregular.  Could be a symptom of the low
blood suger so our goal was to get her temp up and stabilize her glucose.
She seemed to be on the mend on Wednesday and cleaned out her food dish so
I filled it Wdenesday night.  Thursday afternoon she had what appeared to
be another seizure only this time she stopped breathing so I did what any
pet owner and did what I needed to do to get her breathing again.  The vet
once again came right over and her temp was still low and heart rate was
still around 60 beats per minute, very slow.  With it being new year eve,
there was not alot available so we were just going to try to get through
the holiday and take her in on Saturday.  After Dr. Loibl left, I was able
to get some more pred in her and some dextrose as well.  I waited a few
hours and gave her some baby food which she ate off the tip on my finger.
She took almost 12 cc's then snuggled down on top of her heating pad.
Within 15 minutes she started to seize again and again her breathing
stopped, only this time I could not get her to breath again.  She died in
my arms shortly after midnight as the fireworks outside seemed to mock her
passing.  Quietly and peacefully she left me to be with Jasper, Lucy, Ghost
and Grandpa.  And, as with the others that have left before her, she took
another small piece of my heart with her.

My little funny face was with me for only 4 short years, but was an older
girl when I got her and was a snuggling lap baby.  Content just to be held.
My only solace is that now she is cradled in the arms of God.

Hug all you children of fur a little extra tonight.

In sadness,
Diana