Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 01:43:40 -0700
I'm poking my head out of my hole for a few moments to relate the passing
of my beloved Jezabel, 9 years young.

Jezabel was never really friendly towards other ferrets.  Oh, she
tolerated them, but toleration is such an ambiguous word that her actions
qualify to be included within the group.  Nor did she really enjoy a lot
of human time, although each night I would let her wipe her chin on my
shirt while I was honored with being allowed to scratch her head for a
few minutes.  She played a bit, and if you wound her up, she would
cartwheel around the room, trying to get behind my legs to nip the back
of my ankles.  She always was given the chance and I always pretended to
be surprised.

A few weeks ago, during my weekly medical inspection, I noticed a tiny
lump in her left anal sac area and thought she had a plugged gland.  I
called the vet and set up an appointment three days down the road.
Within that three days, the swelling grew to the size of a thumbnail
and it was clear it was not a plugged gland.  The tumor was inoperable.
It continued to grow out of control, involving her rectum and anus.  By
last Monday, the swelling was the size of a small walnut, stretching her
skin so that it looked as if it would split.  Jezabel could no longer
poo without considerable pain, was having difficulty walking, and was
starting to refuse food.  After a consultation with my vet, we elected
to let her cross the bridge.

I had her autopsied, and all organ systems looked like they came from a
young adult.  Her only health problem was the tumor, which had filled up
most of the pelvic area, growing into her colon, rectum, and was starting
to involve her bladder.  Sections of the tumor showed they were
fibrosarcoma.

I also received bad news on Olive Oyl, about 5 years old.  While brushing
her teeth, I noted Oly had a small bump on her lower left mandible.  I
jump on these things like a flea on a fat dog, and so set up an
appointment with the vet, thinking it was tooth abscess.  Within a few
days, the swelling was remarkable, and it was not an abscess, but a
tumor.  We set up a time for a biopsy, which showed the problem was
squamous cell carcinoma.  The tumor is now the size of a marble, and
she has notable swelling on the side of her face.  We are currently
evaluating our options, but the prognosis is poor and the outlook bleak.
In the meantime time, I am hand feeding her on a regular schedule.

I just wanted those people who knew my dear and beloved Jezabel that she
gone...with a huge piece of my heart.  I miss you Jezzy.

Bob C  [log in to unmask]