Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 13:44:28 -0500
Hi all,

I received a response from Mike Woodard, Sr.  Vice President, Operations,
Petco.  He says that responsible pet ownership is important to them and
that they offer each customer information on ferrets, such as habitat
needed, nutrition, exercise, and social needs of the animal.  He asks that
anyone aware of any Petco stores where this educational process is not
taking place to let him know.  He also welcomes other recommendations for
overall responsible pet ownership goals.  My second letter is going out
tomorrow requesting that Petco work with area shelters (as Petsmart does),
instead of contributing to the homeless plight of ferrets.  Please write
to Mr. Woodard requesting that Petco cease selling ferrets, especially in
areas where shelters are overwhelmed.  Also, if you have had a bad
experience with Petco or witnessed something wrong in any of their stores
concerning ferrets, please write.  I believe the only way they will change
policy if they get enough public pressure.  His address is:

Mr. Mike Woodard
Sr. Vice President, Operation
PETCO
9125 Rehco Road
San Diego, CA  92121

I also urge shelters to write expressing their concerns that Petco is
contributing to the problem.

Moxie