Date:
Wed, 8 May 1996 14:56:03 -0700
I found that leash training Pixel was a slow process.  On her first few
walks she just refused to move.  She flopped down on the sidewalk, and
looked around all bug eyed.  Just overwhelmed at how big the world is and
how long it will take to smell all of it.

I started her leash training by letting her explore the outdoors at her own
pace, and using the leash just to restrict her from going in the gutter,
under hedges, or chewing on car tires.  I got her used to going out by
carrying her on my shoulder, in my hand, or in a large coat pocket.  This
works well to get them used to being outside.

One thing to be careful of is that a ferret new to outdoor walking may dart
under your feet or in front of them.  This becomes more of a problem when
they actually start to walk along with you, and will dart back and forth.

Pixel took to leash walking after a while.  She learned to come along when I
tugged on the leash.  Like a dog they want to stop and sniff this and that,
so don't expect to make good time.  You might also want to try walking them
at night or twilight when the world doesn't seem quite as big.

If you live in a ferret free zone, do a little research on your local animal
control attitudes.  If you have a miltant animal control organization or
police that are very activist in area like dog license checking or fining
people for not picking up dog droppings you may want to reconsider public
appearances.  You should also be careful if you live in condos, gated
communities, or other special sub-divisions as such places have a histroy of
being very anti-pet in general.