From:
Debi & David Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 07:24:20 -0600
ECE is pretty sneaky.  It arrived in our home via a new kit from Petco.  In
spite of what the professionals say, it's not really something that they
get once and never have again.  In my experience ferrets seem to have
relapses of ECE months (like 18 to 24) later.  And coming into contact with
other ECE positive ferrets can give them a relapse with a mutated strain of
the virus.  Fortunately, these relapses are seldom as severe as the first
time.  Kits can have ECE very early, (like Sniffles, before she ever got
to the pet store) and breeze right thru it with very little upset.  A later
"relapse" may present as a few loose or greenish poops with few if any
other problems.  If the yucky poops persist more than two or three days or
if other problems, (lack of appetite, not drinking, etc) arise, take them
in to the vet.  But from what you've described I don't think you have a
serious problem yet.

ECE is not strong enough to survive transmission via your clothing.  ADV
is, so far, the only disease that is transmittable via your clothing and
hands (air-born).  You should check around to see if ADV is in your area
before handling someone else's ferrets.  (I know, it sounds like an old
biddy school teacher's lecture... but the 28 ferrets in my care were
possibly exposed to ADV exactly that way and I've had to close my doors to
needy ferrets until my kids are tested negative... or forever if they test
positive.)  You can still handle other ferrets, just be sure to shower &
change before handling yours & make sure your contaminated clothes are
laundered immediately.  Bleach mixed with water is the only readily
available disinfectant that will kill the ADV virus.  "Disinfectant"
cleansers will not.  Synthenol-3 will kill the virus and is available
thru your vet.

I'm not a vet, just a Dr. Mom, so don't take my word for gospel.  This is
just my experience.

Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home, Carthage, TX