From:
David & Debi Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:09:43 -0600
Ferrets are somewhat more resistant to the stomach upset from pred than
are humans, but... when they've been on a moderate to large dosage for
some time, it seems to become more of a problem for them.

What I do when I have an insulinoma ferret that develops ulcers:

I cut down on the pred a little... and ADD some of those nasty sugary
treats to help keep blood glucose levels up.  A little Karo in the soup
can help a lot.  I also add 0.25cc of Pet Tinic (Lixatone, etc.) two or
three times a day to help replenish iron loss from anemia.  I use the
LIQUID vitamin supplement because it takes up less room in the stomach...
generally, you have enough trouble getting a substantial amount of
nourishment in them without filling them up on tube-type vitamins
(Ferretvite, etc.).  It gets to a point where every cc of soup counts.
And I do count... I try for 10cc's of soup every four hours at a minimum,
I like to see them eating 20cc's every 4 hours.

For ulcer cases I use chicken baby mixed 1:1 with water (or pedialyte if
dehydration is present).  The baby food is more easily digestibly.  Some
ferrets like the Science Diet A/D (again mix 1:1 with water).  It's also
easily digestible... more so than kibble\water soup.

Twice a day, I give carafate, wait 15 minutes.  Then I crush 1/8th of
a tablet of Pepto-Bismol in the bowl, stir in the reduced pred dosage
(Pepto tablets will dissolve in pred, but not in water), add the
amoxicillin, then a small amount of soup that I know the ferret will
finish off.

If the ferret is not eating well enough to get all the meds, I prepare
the meds as above, but mix in only 5cc of soup and draw it all up into
a dropper.  (See:
http://www.ferrets1st.com/articles/force_feeding_photo_guide.htm
for administration method )

This way, I know the ferret is getting the needed meds with as little
stress as possible.

I give carafate 3 (or 4 if getting up at night to feed) times daily for
as long as blood is present in the stool.  Once poops look normal, I
continue the carafate twice a day for at least 5 days.

I have also used Pepcid Complete (the chewable tablet... 1/8th tablet
twice daily) instead of Pepto Bismol with excellent results.  Pecid
Complete dissolves in water and most ferrets don't mind the taste (berry
flavor).

I've never had any luck at all using Cimetadine antacid.  Ferrets hate
the taste and refuse any food it's mixed into.

Debi Christy
www.ferrets1st.com
Ferrets First Foster Home