From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 18:04:19 -0700
        Linda, I think you should also include the age that the ferret was
neutered or spayed. I think that is relevant.
        I also researched the Hillsboro, Oregon bite case.  The media was
quick to blame the ferret but then there was total silence on the issue.
Speculation was that the baby and the ferret had not been fed in >24 hours
and the parents were so spaced out on drugs that they were unaware of the
situation. Hillsboro attempted to get ferrets outlawed but to no avail.
The Oregon Ferret Assoication attended a Pet Fair sponsored by Petco last
year in Hillsboro. We heard many people say they had read about the "baby
killing ferret" but that ours did not seem to match that vicious
description.  Most people were totally floored how gentle all the ferrets
were.  In fact, a reporter took a picture of my ferret, Amber (a whopping
1.43 pounds) sniffing a young boy.  The picture appeared on the front of
the Hillsboro newspaper, with some flattering comments.
        The OFA sponsored one of the top ferret vets in our city several
weeks ago.  When asked about varying opinions expressed by "ferret vets"
he offered the following:  it was *his* opinion that many vets perceived
that by not catering to the booming ferret clientele, they were losing $$$
in the ferret business.  He suggested that before going to any vet, you
should check the vets credentials and get references from reliable
sources, such as your local ferret shelter and other satisfied ferret
owners. Also ask about prices because some vets think that ferrets are
exotic animals. My vet charges $9.50 for an office visit, $7.95 for rabies
shot, $6.95 for canine distemper, $25 for a neuter, and $35 for a spay.
Even in California, I had a ferret neutered and descented (when I was
ignorant about the source of ferret odors) for $80.
        I *totally* agree with Mary McCarthy on descenting. I also believe
that not everyone should be a ferret owner. I would consider descenting a
ferret, but only as a very last resort.  IMHO, any vet who *routinely*
recommends descenting or does not understand the role of hormones would
not be a vet I would patronize. I would question the motivation of any vet
who routinely recommended descenting (that's my opinion - it does not have
to be yours.)

        -Carla