From:
"Mary R. Shefferman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:26:50 -0400
Shona wrote:
>>keep in mind the following.
>>1/ raw foods can transmit bacteria ( do you eat raw meat ?),  so lightly
>>cook it to reduce bacterial levels ( there are many papers on this)

>** Ferrets have a much stronger stomach acid than humans, but I would be
>interested in reading any papers regarding raw meat and ferrets.  Please
>post so we can all learn.

First, "lightly" cooking will not kill the bacteria.  You can get sick
from under-cooked meats.  Red meats need to get to an internal temp of
160 degrees F., poultry to 180 degrees F.  Anything less is useless
against bacteria.

The concern with raw meats is for the humans in the house, not the
ferrets.  Ferrets, like other carnivores, are built to eat raw meat.
It's not a problem for them.  However, having a person in my home with
Crohn's Disease (IBD) who is on meds that can lower immune response,
raw meat is handled *very* cautiously here.  I won't take the chance of
feeding raw meat to a ferret who might then pass on anything to Eric.
It's just not worth the risk.

Healthy adult humans can handle a foodborne illness fairly well (though
with quite a lot of discomfort), but children, elderly, infirm, or
pregnant people cannot.  Some bacteria can kill humans, while having
little to no effect on carnivores like ferrets.  You need to weigh the
benefits to the ferret against the possible danger to the humans.

--Mary & the Fuzz

Mary R. Shefferman and
Gabby, The Lone Modern Ferret
Ferret Information: http://www.ferretnews.com