From:
"Gustafson, Barb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 09:30:00 -0700
Well I suspect I'm stepping into a can of worms here..and likely this falls
under the topic of animal rights which I know is a no no on this list
but... well....here goes.

I just wanted to make a few comments of my own regarding the last reply
shown from Teri at AVAR to Sukie.  (SEE ISSUE 2916 - Jan 2 2000).  I happen
to agree with much (not all) of what Teri said.

Teri replied........
>***** The domestication of animals as 'pets' and 'food' or other human
>uses has contributed to a great deal of suffering and death for millions
>of these animals, including cattle, pigs, chickens, fish, horses, cats,
>and dogs (to name a few).

Can we as humans deny this statement?

>*****PETA's stand isn't that ferrets should be rounded up and killed but,
>rather, to not be perpetuated as a human companion species.  Is it in
>their best interest to continue breeding them from ferret mills and
>selling them as chattel or property where many will inevitably end up
>unwanted in shelters?

*I* personally agree that ferrets, or any other domestic pet for that
matter, should not be mass produced.  In my opinion the elimination of
mills would greatly reduce the number of unwanted animals being euthanized
or winding up in shelters.  *I* also believe there is nothing wrong with
perpetuating our existing domestic companion animals, the problem lies not
in the fact that they exist but in the way the laws in our society view
them....AS PROPERTY.  That is what needs to change in my opinion.  Tougher
laws against abusers, stricter regulations and licensing imposed on private
breeders and even laws requiring vaccination and mandatory spaying and
neutering (unless you are a licensed breeder) of all domestic pets.  As I
stated previously, this is just my personal opinion.

>Ferrets, like cats and dogs, are property under current law.

This is oh so true....and we are all aware of how ridiculously inadequate
the courts are at dealing with animal abuse issues.  Just yesterday on our
news a man was charged after beating his dog with a hammer and then burying
it alive.  The dog will have permanent brain damage as a result.  The man
will be probably be fined a few hundred bucks.  A truly fitting punishment
for such a horrendous act!  I'm being sarcastic!

>Many of us would like to see all non-human beings liberated from human
>ownership.  We believe, as other animal rights persons, that non-human
>animals should live according to their own nature and in natural
>conditions, free from use and abuse by people.

This is one statement I disagree with.  Just think what would happen if
every cow, horse, pig, chicken, hamster, dog, cat, ferret and so on and so
on were to be liberated from their human *caretakers*.  Whether for right
or wrong, we humans domesticated these animals for our own purposes and
having done so we now have a responsibility to ensure that they are well
cared for.  Many domestic species have never existed in the wild or are so
far removed from their wild ancestors that the act of setting them free
would be, in my opinion, considered animal abuse in the extreme.  As for
non-domesticated species, thanks to the acts of humans there is very little
natural space left for them to reside in.

Just based on what I've read in the last few FML postings on this subject,
I get the feeling that AVAR does sincerely care for the welfare of
companion animals, ferrets included, but that some of their tactics for
helping them as stated by Teri, seem misdirected and could actually cause
more harm than good.  I've learned that with many organizations the
thoughts and words of one person do not necessarily reflect the missions
or actual actions of the organization as a whole.  I can't speak from
experience, not knowing all that much about AVAR, but its probable that
they have done a lot of good things to help companion animals in the past
and will continue to do so in the future.  While I believe its important
to speak up and let groups know when you disagree with their methods and
the reasons why you disagree, its also important to do your own research
and not to simply follow blindly and condemn them without knowing the whole
picture.

There is a place and a need in our society for animal rights groups.  Its
up to us as animal caretakers to ensure that these groups are acting in the
best interest of the *animals* and not for their own personal interests or
their own personal gain.

Please direct any flames or comments to [log in to unmask]

Barb Gustafson
Alberta Ferret Society
President