From:
"Charlene M Lowe (Charlene Lowe)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 1995 10:44:17 -0500
Hello. I was wondering how to test your ferret to determine if he can see
well or not? I am trying to figure out if one of our clan has poor eyesight
as every once in a while he will run into a wall or a door. I have tried to
swing a pendulum a foot in front of his nose and sometimes he will follow it
with his head and sometimes he won't. I wonder if he is following the noise
or the smell rather than the sight of it though. Also his attention span is
so short that I can't test him for more than a few seconds at a time before
he is off doing something else. Are there any fullproof tests that doctors
can do to determine a ferret's eyesight capabilities? Besides cataracts and
old age, what typically causes loss of sight in a younger ferret? Thanks.