From:
"Rebecca M. Shepard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 08:36:07 -0500
I have been reading a lot about how ferrets are often weaned too early.  I
was wondering if this has any affect on their personalities.  Both of our
ferrets are Marshall Farms guys but were purchased at very different ages
and have very different personalities

We got Marisol at the very young age of 1 month from a pet store.  I didn't
know at the time how dangerous this was for her health.  But now she is 2
years old and very healthy and happy (and spoiled).  From the first time I
picked her up, however, she has been very nippy.  When she was a kit, it was
really aweful.  She would come from out of nowhere and attack any skin she
could find.  I know many ferrets are like this, but she was a real maniac.
You don't realize someone so cute and tiny could be so lethal!  It's a lot
better now.  She will usually give some signal licks to let you know she's
going to attack, and then the bite is usually pretty light.  Of course, it's
pretty embarassing when she does that to the vet's student assistant (ON THE
NECK) who has never handled a ferret before.

Then there is Claude (7 months).  We got him at 2 1/2 months and I'm not
even sure if he has teeth at all (just kidding).  He has never once bitten
me when we weren't playing.  He is a perfect angel.  I couldn't ask for a
nicer baby.  Sometimes I feel like something's wrong with him because he is
that good.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be very interested to know if there is a
correlation.

Thanks,
Becky