From:
"S.Hewett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 12:48:54 +0800
Troy-Lynn & Alexandria,

I think you have pointed out an important thing: Not all attempts at
changing a ferret's diet meet with success. One thing that has not been
mentioned is that some ferrets that prove to be very reluctant to try
new flavours and textures need a much slower, gentle method. This has
recently proved successful without the ferrets having to fast at all!

I would still encourage anyone who wants to change their ferrets' diet
do do so with a mentor, or better still, look for advice on one of the
many Natural Feeding lists.

One of the drawbacks of feeding a natural diet to my lot is one I never
considered sharing, because it is not important to me:  Raw or natural
feeding is not always convenient and can initially cause a bit more work.

I've had one major disaster with a hidden stash of small whole (pre-killed)
prey and chicken pieces smelling out the house.  I solved this by blocking
access (to the tiniest ferret I had at the time) to that spot behind a
cupboard.  Wouldn't you know it!  I recently took in another little old girl
and she is tinier still!  Her favourite stash spot was under the washing
machine.  My washing machine is about 4 years old and none of my ferrets
could ever get under it but she could.  I've made a wooden frame to enclose
the gap between machine and floor.  Problem solved (until they find the next
breach in stash security).  Most of my lot use the stash boxes that are
provided for them and I've found that they are a great boon to having less
housework to do.

Cheers,
Shirley