From:
Barbara Gustafson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 14:47:31 -0700
The Alberta Ferret Society based out of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada is a
fairly new organization.

We've only been in existence for about eight months now but during that time
we have not been idle.

Recently Wherret Ferrets of Vancouver who's shelter was filled to the max
sent us an e-mail asking if we could help out.  We replied with a resounding
"YES!!", dubbed the mission "Operation Ferret Storm" and thanks to CANADIAN
AIRLINES who generously donated the cost of transportation, ten Vancouver
fuzzies arrived here and are now safe and sound in foster homes awaiting
adoption.  Actually only five are awaiting adoption as our members have
already adopted five of them.

Since that time (probably due in part to the media coverage from Operation
Ferret Storm) we have had another ten ferrets surrendered to us, two of
which were released to us from the local SPCA who appears to have finally
recognized our determination to help Alberta's furrkids.  Out of the ten,
three were lost ferrets, two of whom have since been reunited with their
frantically worried owners.

Several of these ferrets are undergoing rehabilitation for biting behavior
but we are confident that they can be turned around and will soon learn to
trust again.  Others required surgery for spaying/neutering and one needed
adrenal surgery, all of which has been done along with vaccinations and/or
medications as needed.  We are now busy interviewing potential adopters and
hope that soon all our foster fuzzies will have found caring permanent homes.

Although the number of rescues may seem small in comparison to what some of
the US shelters receive, we finally feel that we are starting to make a
difference here and that at least for a few ferrets we may have made the
difference between life and death.

As is the case with most shelters we suffer from a lack of everything
(cages, food, litter, blankies etc) so if you're interested in donating
supplies we'd be happy to receive them.

If you're interested in adopting please contact us by calling the Ferret Hot
Line at (403) 447-3336 or you can e-mail [log in to unmask]  Visit our
web page at www.ferrets.edmontonab.com, where among other things you can
read about some of the ferts that are looking for new homes.

Happy New Year to all.

Barb Gustafson (aka Boots)
Alberta Ferret Society