From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 07:39:11 -0500
Dr Williams:

Is it possible for ferrets to have low glucose levels for other reasons
other than insulinoma?

Recently, we have had instances in some of our shelter ferrets - as well as
one of mine own - where glucose levels were relatively low (50 - 78) and it
was originally thought these ferrets might have insulinoma.

One 4 yr old shelter ferret with a BG of 55 had surgery, and while his
pancreas appeared ok, his left adrenal was significantly enlarged and was
removed (this ferret was also drinking *alot* of water and was practically
bald).  Since his surgery, he is a different ferret - he plays all the time,
stays awake much longer, etc, and we'll be checking his BG in 2 wks, but
right now he is on no meds.

An approx 2 yr old neutered male ferret sitting in Animal Control for about
6 wks was rescued by us as well - when we had him vet-checked, we did a BG
for the hell of it and it was 78.  While our vet doesn't feel he needs to be
on meds at this time, we're wondering if improper nutrition and care are
partly responsible.  (When we got him out of animal control, at first glance
we thought he was a silver - but he was really an albino - filthy dirty -
and animal control was calling him "she").  He's on Totally Ferret, Marshall
Farms Ferret Diet, Iams, etc, and his coat and muscle are improving.  We
plan on having his BG rechecked in a few weeks.

As you may remember, Libby, my 3 yr old was dx'd with cardiomyopathy and
insulinoma last summer.  Her heart US was normal, and although the previous
vet who saw her consistently heard a heart murmur, my new vet doesn't hear
any murmurs.  BTW, my new vet uses a stethoscope for babies, it's much
smaller, and he feels more appropriate for ferrets.  Her BG from last summer
went from 89 to 78 to 55.  She has been on pred since 9/95, not a high dose
either - .25 cc q other day (5 mg per 5 ml), and a recent fasting BG was
132.  Since the pred is so minimal, I'm going to discuss with my new vet
stopping the pred.  She is acting more normal now as well.

So, Laura (our Shelter Director) and I are wondering if these ferrets - or
any ferret for that matter - can have temporarily low BG's due to other
systemic infections or illnesses?  Can we really jump to a dx of insulinoma
based on 1 or 2 BGs??

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY