From:
Sharon Burbine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 1995 10:50:47 -0400
[Moderator's note: Also see following post.  BIG]

Talked to a Susan Paulson in Senate Ways & Means today regarding HB 295.

Hate to sound like a broken record but heres the scoop:

We are still stuck in SW&M.  She said that its still being "Studied" and the
best tactic to get it out of SW&M is to write letters to that committee.

What can you as a Mass Resident do to help?  You can do the following:

1) contact your own Senator and State Rep.  (if you do not know them,
e-mail me directly, let me know which town or city you reside inalso, if
you know your ward or prectint, that may help and I'll tell you who they
are.  Ask them if they would write a letter to SW&M in support of HB295.

2). Write to SW&M Committee directly and ask for the whole Committee's
support.

3) contact all the Senators on SW&M by letter.  Ask them to support HB 295.
What Susan said that will happen with these letters is they will go into
the file.  If we generate enough "PAPER" maybe that will re-open their
interest in the bill and push the priority up.

If you have a Senator on SW&M, tell them of your frustration on their
handling of this bill, its been in their committee since the end of May.
Remember to remind them you are a constituent and you vote.  Also, let them
know that yes there are tons of more important things they have to deal with
but this is very important to you.

In the SW&M file on HB 295 the following Senators/Reps have letters in favor
of the bill on file:

Senator Robert Durand, Senator David Magnani, Senator Bruce Tarr, Rep. Brad
Jones (Bless their hearts!  If you write to them, thank them for their
support).

The following is a list of the SW&M Committee, the address to write them is,
I have listed only a few towns/cities they represent, if you are not sure,
e-mail me.

Senator XXX
State House
Boston, MA 02133

Thomas F. Birmingham, Chairman, Chelsea, Everett, Revere
Robert D. Wetmore, Vice Chairman,  Athol, Barre, Sturbridge, Winchendon
Matthew J. Amorello, Auburn, Grafton
Robert A. Antonioni, Fitchburg, Leominster, Lunenburg
Michael C. Creedon, Brockton, E. Bridgewater.
Robert A. Durand, Acton, Hudson, Marlborough, Stow
Cheryl A. Jacques, Attleboro, Natick, Needham, Wellesley, Wrentham
James P. Jajuga, Haverhill, Methuen, N. Andover, Salisbury
Michael Knapik, Chicopee, Holyoke, Southwick, Westfield
David P. Magnani, Framingham, Hopkinton, Medway
Linda J. Melconian, Agawam, Chicopee, Springfield, W. Springfield
Therese Murray, Bourne, Falmouth, Pembroke, Plymouth, Sandwich, Wareham
Thomas C. Norton, Fall River, Freetown, Somerset, Swansea, Westport
Henri S. Rauschenbach, Brewster, Cape & Islands
Stanley S. Rosenberg, Amherst, Greenfield, Northampton
Charles E. Shannon, Medford, Winchester, Woburn
Marian Walsh, Canton, Dedham, Dover Norwood, Westwood

FYI:  Sen. Rosenberg, Sen Jajuga both had ferrets confiscated in their
districts this past summer while HB 295 was in their committee.  (They
received letters from me regarding this).  Sen. Rauschenbach is presently
under indictment been all over the news these past few days  He may be quite
busy with that.

Thanks for your help and good luck.  Anyone who gets feedback please let me
know.

Sharon Burbine,
Mass Friends of the Domestic Ferret Group