From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Aug 2009 11:59:12 -0400
Opps, somehow I accidently left off an abstract about one of the
studies on things that can affect titer levels. I was trimming from
some resources I found for someone in the past and trimmed a bit too
much.

>Vet Ther. 2005 Spring;6(1):43-56.Links
>The role of supplementary dietary antioxidants on immune response in
>puppies.
>Khoo C, Cunnick J, Friesen K, Gross KL, Wedekind K, Jewell DE.
>Hill's Pet Nutrition Inc, PO Box 1658, Topeka, KS 66601-1658, USA.
>
>The objective of this study was to evaluate the effect of
>supplementary antioxidants (AOX) and whey protein on the immune
>function health of puppies. Four groups of 10 puppies were fed a
>control and 3 different test foods (control + antioxidants (AOX),
>control + AOX + 1% whey protein, and a grocery brand (low AOX)) for
>6 weeks. A standard vaccination protocol with a combination canine
>parvovirus (CPV) and distemper (CDV) vaccine was carried out at 2
>and 4 weeks. The results showed that animals on high AOX foods had
>significantly increased titers, memory cells and serum E
>concentrations compared to the control and groc groups respectively.
>
>PMID: 15906269

BTW, this is old but i just ran across it for what I think is the
first time so it might help some ferrets:

> J Pineal Res. 1996 Nov;21(4):214-7.Links
>Melatonin reduces mortality from Aleutian disease in mink (Mustela
>vison).
>Ellis LC.
>Department of Biology, Utah State University, Logan 84322-5305, USA.
>
>Aleutian disease (AD) results from a persistent parvoviral infection
>that results in marked hypergammaglobulinemia and immune complex
>mediated lesions of the kidney, liver, lungs and, arteries. Melatonin
>protected both a wild type or demi strain and a demi/dark crossed
>strain of mink from AD. The biogenic amine also afforded protection
>against other non-diagnosed diseases naturally found on mink farms
>when it was available from a subcutaneously-placed reservoir. Some
>genetic strains of mink apparently differed in the resistance of mink
>to the virus and in the protective ability of melatonin. The demi
>strain was the most resistant followed by pastels, mahogany, darks,
>and those strains with the double recessive Aleutian gene. The
>protective action of melatonin appeared to result from melatonin's
>ability to scavenge free radicals, but it could also be due to the
>induction of antioxidant enzymes or to the modulation of immunity.
>Melatonin also protected mink against distemper.
>
> PMID: 8989719

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/