From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 23:02:36 -0400
Getting ferrets into California is not really that hard.  I recently met a
neighbor who moved here from the east coast with a ferret and didn't even
know this was a FFZ until a month after she got here.

Many people buy ferrets in border town pet stores (I got mine in Yuma, and
the store manager was quite used to California customers).  The Agro
checkpoints are mainly focused towards keeping out fruit and vegatables, and
should not be a problem as long as no contraband is in sight (that includes
ferrret food, cages, etc.)

Bringing a ferret into California requires some research, some parts of the
State have a reputation of being very ferret hostile (Fresno/Bakersfield
have been mentioned at this end).  Local ferret owners groups can give you
are idea if you are bring your ferret into a high risk area.

You should also inquire about the attitude of local animal control and how
aggressive they are (do they cruise around writing tickets for unlicensed
dogs?  or are they never seen except in an emergency?)

When traveling inside California, be careful about ferret bathroom breaks
along rest areas and interstate service clusters.  State level law
enforcement are found in great numbers in these areas (CHP, Park Rangers,
State Police, and Fish and Game) getting gas and fast food.

I have had no problems with encounters with local law enforcement in Los
Angeles, Beverly Hills, and San Francisco.

If you are relocating to California, becareful about moving into condo
complexes, planned communities, or gated communities. Many of them have
broad anti-pet covenants combined with a reputation of miltant enforcement
of such rules.

Brad