Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 1997 16:14:31 -0500
>I had an angry message composed to reply to mcduff, but I've calmed down
>now. :)

That is a real shame.  Calming down and accepting things as they currently
are is the last thing we want to do.  Actually, if you can present any kind
of well thought out argument that supports what they are doing I would love
to hear it.  I'd even settle for someone being able to find flaw with my
logic and conclusions.

>Whether or not they 'do any good' I think is answered by the number of
>states that have accepted CDC studies in order to pass quarantine laws for
>ferrets as have been passed for dogs and cats - and the number of states
>that will be trying to pass laws based on this information, like Michigan.

Let's see...the number of states where there is a state mandated quarantine
period for ferrets:
Colorado (although this predates any of the domestic shedding studies)
Texas
New Hampshire
Massachusettes
Maryland
Kansas (although I'm not completely sure of this one)

Of these states how many are still doing routine kill & test: All except
Maryland and that is because the people in Maryland dilligently ride them
to follow the law.

The number of states which will try, operative word TRY, to pass quarantines
based on this information: Probably many.  How Many will succeed: I
guarantee none.  As long as CDC does not openly recommend a quarantine and
continues to put the disclaimers on any studies being done no public health
official will stick their neck out and take the liability.  As for Michigan,
the law they currently have on the books is one of the best in the country.
The problem is that people like Drs.  Hall and Strobierski are not following
it.  Further they are using their credentials and supposed "expertise" to
muddy the waters about what information does exist and is accepted.

>They may not be directly involved or participating in MI's efforts, but
>without their research, we'd have very little to stand on.

On the contrary, your position would be greatly strengthened by taking a
stand against further unnecessary studies.  The documentation already exists
to more than support not killing ferrets.  The CDC guidelines already call
for a case by case risk assesment based on factors such as health, history,
and potential of being exposed to rabies.  What makes you think that, even
if they did recommend a quarantine period (which I have been told they never
will), that the recommendation would be followed when the current ones
aren't?

If you don't think the ferret community is being played for fools, consider
this:

The first of the domestic studies was completed and the abstract presented
in Reno 2 years ago.  This information has yet (and I checked) to be
published in any peer review publication.  This is the benchmark for
considering scientific data valid.  Until it is published it is only
hearsay.  Yet we have screamed for the funding of 5 additional studies
(raccoon, dog, coyote, and 2 bat strains).

As I said in my previous post, step back and look at these study
unemotionally.  Are we getting the desired results?  Are they being up front
with us?  I think you'll find both answers to be no.  How valid are the
studies?  Why aren't they being published?  Why is there always some kind of
disclaimer attached?  How much data is enough?  Why aren't they following
the current recommendations?  I think we would all like the answers to these
questions.

On a somewhat related side note... part of the problem is that we are
getting two-faced responses.  On the one hand they are pushing the
completion of the shed studies.  On the other hand they are talking about
not having the same ammount of data on -Naturally Occurring"- rabies in
ferrets as they do on dogs and cats.  Which is it?  If shed studies are what
they need we have already done more than enough.  If naturally occurring
rabies is the benchmark then we could wait hundreds of years for the parity
of information they want.  Think about it 1-3 cases of naturally occurring
rabies in ferrets per year as opposed to thousands of cases in dogs and cats
since CDC started record keeping.