From:
James Rademaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2008 15:45:15 -0600
This is an update on the three ferrets needing a home in the Greater
Louisville (Ky) area posted in the June 7th issue. First, I would like
to thank the many people who offered suggestions but could not actually
provide a home. Secondly, I would like to thank the many out-of-town
shelters and our local shelter (www.theferrethaven.org) who offered to
take these guys. I feel that shelters are over burdened with rescues
and abandonments and should NOT be used as a "catch all". If a suitable
home could not be found I was ready to take these guys into our family.
We have three ourselves and the wife was first opposed to three more
(total of 6). She said something about extra clean-up and 6 times the
mischief. Since we have a Ferret Room which only has 4 corners I told
her that there should be no "extra" clean-up and that they would be so
busy playing with each other that they would stay out of mischief. She
didn't buy it but it was worth a try.

Their current mom is a friend of my wife and these 3 are a bonded
group. I told her (my wife) that they could be sent out of town to a
shelter and would probably be split up being quite traumatic on them.
I was counting on her love of ferrets (we've had ferrets for about 20
yrs) to prevail. Still, she stood firm. I then stated that before I'd
let these sweet little guys be sent out-of-town to be split up I WOULD
take them in and send her out-of-town! After all, 3 "new ferrets" for
one "old wife" didn't sound like a bad trade! (just kidding)

Anyway, she finally came around. We've agreed to foster these guys
and that way their current mom could have visitation rights and may
eventually get them back. Her situation may be only temporary and she
is beside herself at having to give them up in the first place.

So far all responses on this topic have been positive and helpful.
Anyone wishing to comment in a positive manner may post to the FML.
Any flames, criticism or harsh remarks should be sent to my personal
email. Let's keep the FML a happy place. After all, I feel this had
a happy ending, except for the wife who is currently packing (again,
just kidding)

Mike & Ada w/Manny, Ellie & Diego, soon to add 3 more