From:
Alicia K Drakiotes / Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 21:57:54 -0400
It is with sadness that I relay the completion of Moses Journey over the
rainbow bridge.  Grandpa Moses as he was named came into our lives at Ferret
Wise as a surrendered breeding ferret from VT.  His arrival and that of ten
other ferrets was a heart wrenching event.  All ferrets were severely
malnourished, vitamin deficient, had never had vet attention and had been
fed raw vegetables for the most part previous to their surrender.  The
animals had been caged in breeding groups- 3 or 4 females and 2 males to a
cage.  The males were cut and scarred from the battles over the females
during breeding season.

The males received at the shelter varied in age from 2 - 6 plus years.
Moses was estimated to be the oldest of the group at 6-7 years of age.  All
males were severely hobbled.  They had not been afforded caging adequate to
move enough to keep their muscles intact.  The nails on all ferrets were so
long they looked like cheerios attached to the feet.  The nails were yellow
and dead and took it took some time for any of the animals to regain good
walking posture.

Moses never actually regained full mobility, he was still very stiff-legged
and did shuffle due to lack of muscle development even after some aggressive
whirlpool therapy and range of motion exercises.  He and the others in his
group had never been handled by friendly humans and they were frightened at
the appearance of hands.  It took much time for any of these animals to
allow themselves to be picked up and handled, but those days did finally
arrive.  At the time of neutering we discovered that Grandpa Moses had
testicular cancer.  We brought him home hoping for the best that he would be
granted the time to live life as a ferret should -- learning to play and
dance.  Once he found it was alright to do more than huddle in a cage, he
became fond of balls.  They were everywhere.  Later he would prefer yellow
tennis balls and always you would find him napping in a tent with 3 or 4
balls tucked around him.

Grandpa was placed in foster care for several months but was returned to the
shelter when they decided to move out of state and did not have room for
him.  He was a joy and loved by the shelter Mom, Pop and volunteers.  He was
given plenty of space and playtime and enjoyed his solitude and playtimes.
His battle ended when after several weeks of tumultuous health lymphosarcoma
ravaged his body.  Given the fast rate of growth and his debilitated state
both the shelter Mom and vet felt it would be wise for his journey to begin.
At 6:20 PM on Thursday, June 27th Grandpa Moses left the pain behind as he
crossed over the rainbow bridge.  We will miss him greatly.  Our comfort is
knowing that he will never be abused or neglected again and also that though
arriving at the dusk of life he did indeed learn that ferrets can play.  We
wish Grandpa Moses well and know that he has taken his favorite tennis balls
with him as he plays and waits for those he loved.  Grandpa Moses gently
rests in Ferrets View we are sure his spirit will guide the shelter kids on
whom he watches over.  Peace be with you Moses.