From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 14:56:14 -0500
Waardensburg Syndrome is a neural crest genetic disorder which passes along
lines through at least three different possible routes, with three that are
known and documented.  It's a very ancient genetic variant which affects
many animals other than ferrets, and it is possible for an individual to
have more than one type of WS genetic alteration simultaneously according
to Leigh who is a geneticist (unless I read her wrong).  Basically, it
affects the functions of some early fetal cells that develop into multiple
other cells.  Expression is variable.  Pigment of the head is one thing
that can be affected (panda head, blaze head stripe -- either life-long,
possibly some of the DEW whites).  Hearing is another.  There are studies
linking it to intestinal problems.  There is some incidental evidence that
it MIGHT lead to reduced longevity.  No one knows and the numbers haven't
been done.  One problem that has been arising is that there seems to be a
tendency to lump too many things in the Waardensburg basket before knowing
if they really belong there.  This is not to say that I think that these
individuals should be bred.  I don't.  I have heard of way too many WS
ferrets with early deaths and only of a few with normal lifespans, I know
how hard it is for a ferret to cope with intestinal problems through a long
patch of life and would not want to see increases of such woes, I know how
many deaf ones wind up abused.  It's a terrible thing that this disorder
was bred FOR selectively for the sake of a LOOK, whether for esthetics or
money, and sad that the band-wagon was jumped upon by breeders of all
sizes.  Multiple show organizations are now seeking fair ways to discourage
unsafe breeding practises.  Far too few breeders of any size, anywhere,
actually follow lines, collecting health and longevity data, and culling
lines when those are bad.  Improving such practises is one of the next
logical steps toward helping ferrets.  Such records would also spot out
lines with increased longevity and better than normal health, but pains
must be taken to follow all animals, including those "petted out".  have
spoken with a number of people in multiple groups about this.  Without
fail, we don't want to be like horse, dog and cat enthusiasts who in so
many cases decreased the health with their breeding; we want to improve
the ferrets' lives, too, or at the very least not harm them.  It's a matter
of people doing the ground-work first, now, and tracking lines carefully
for a number of years.

The best way to understand WS is going to be to find Leigh Whittaker's
9Sp?) past posts in FML back-issues, and in those of the Ferret Genetics
List <[log in to unmask]>.