Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 23:17:54 PDT
Hello,
I just wanted to say I enjoy reading everyone's cute fuzzy tales.  I also
have been noticing some very interesting ferret names.  Even the telling of
illness can be helpful.

Although everyone has an opinion and everyone is entitled to share it, not
everyone need agree.  I refer to the issue of descenting.  I am new here,
but was amazed that the woman who opened her heart concerning the choice to
descent her little loved one.  When I was a kid we had two ferrets, a female
and a male, that we mated.  They were not descented, but were blessed that
they didn't feel it necessary to poof a lot.  The male was the most gentle
critter to the point that when he was in pain with an abscessed foot he
still did not bite.  His death was so hard on my dad that he will not be a
ferret parent again.  He enjoys being a ferret grandferret instead.  But I
digress, I mentioned before that I had three ferrets and am now down to one.
All three were/are altered (fixed and descented).  I believe it necessary
because I have asthma and other allergies - especially to cats, my husband
suffers from sinus trouble aggravated by allergies, and I have a
five-year-old son who wants not only another ferret, but a human sibling.
Sebastian tends to get just as excited as Kalie, the fuzzy, when it is
playtime.  Poofing in our house could be rough to take.

But think of it this way, descenting a ferret is a similar decision as to
whether to circumcise a baby boy.  It is a very personal decision for
personal reasons.  Whatever, the outcome is we should not judge and possibly
scare away a poster who could have something to offer and share with the
FML.

As for sad stories, I have one but will not go into details.  All I will
say is my two fuzzies Rufus and Nisha are at the Bridge and I was forced to
decide to help them get there.  The exact cause for their quick downslide is
not really known as it was a combination of things.  One thing is for sure,
I believe stress played a very large part of their getting sick.  Despite
all I did it was not enough.  What I guess I am trying to say is just like
with people stress is a killer.  Keep an eye for it and health complications
with the fuzzies.

In ferret love,
Donelle Whiting and clan.
Kalie (Sebastian, I can get out of all your "traps")