From:
Broomie FD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 05:54:21 -0200
Hi All,
We haven't yet got our 1-2 ferrets but did place an ad in paper and it
will be several weeks before the petstore gets anymore ferrets.  No
shelters here carry ferrets.  I have a couple of questions about homemade
cages.  The starter cages at the petstore are not real big....I am
considering making a cage big enough for 2 ferrets.  Thinking of
5'(L)x3'(W)x3'(H)...and could easily go higher.

1) Does anyone know where the cage on pp 25 of "Ferrets For Dummies" came
from, design plans, online store?  I might like to make it.  Did find
1&1/2" diameter 10' long PVC tubing today.  Found several types of PVC
joins but not 3 corner edge joins :(.  I can't decide between pvc tubing
or plywood frame.  Is it ok to use wood for the frame of a cage?  I assume
the wood need to be coated with ?urethane? several times.

2) Did come across 1/4" or 1/2" sq metal screening, uncoated galvanized?
chicken wire, 36" wide (3 ft).  ..also I couldn't find plastic coated
metal screening kind yet, can I buy that anywhere?

3) I read that a linoleum floor is good.  Si I was thinking of getting a
sheet of plywood, cover in heavy plastic (staple back) and lay down a
sheet of linoleum?  Just a thought....

4) So what does everyone use for ladders in there cages?  Mesh screening
I would think would be harsh on little ones feet.

5) For shelving in cage I was thinking of making some wooden plywood
shelves and covering again with linoleum or carpet pieces (with dowl
supports or wooden plywood support maybe)....hmmmmmm.....

Basically any and all suggestions, designs, etc ..are appreciated.  I just
like the idea of homemade cages..  ofcourse I plan to let the little ones
have time outside the cage as well.  Lady who works at petstore told me
she has a dog carry cage for one of her ferrets and he luvs it, small, no
longer has litter accidents and comes and goes out of the cage freely in
an enclosed room.....maybe simplier is better?  Can't make up mind....

Broomie