From:
Melissa Rotert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 08:25:25 -0700
Oh my ferret family.  I wanted you all to know that we and the ferrets
are doing much better.  We've had some rough times in the last two weeks,
but they were peppered with some personal triumphs as well.

Since Robin's death, we've had an easier time of making time for the
ferts.  And as Katherine grows older, (She turns 1 year old in TWO
WEEKS!!) the ferrets are inheriting her receiving blankets and infant
toys in which she no longer shows interest.  "Finally," they think,
"This baby thing pays off!!"

In an off topic way, I wanted to tell you all that on October 14, my
band's album was released.  It's good, old fashioned rock, flavoured with
reggae, funk and country.  All originals.  I played keyboards and sang
back-up.  And designed the album.  We're having it produced at CafePress.
If you're interested, you can email me.

The album is dedicated to our friend Chris, whom I wrote about two weeks
ago.  He was buried on Wednesday with military honors.  The Bronze Star.
The Purple Heart.  The dubious honor of seeing my husband cry for only
the second time since I've known him.  (The first was when our daughter
was born.)

Katherine took her first steps the day we found out about Chris.  And
today is our first wedding anniversary.  My husband wears dog tags under
his shirt.  Given him by a 25 year old widow.  And holds his hands out
and watches his daughter walk to him to play with them.  All the little
joys balance out the grief.

And so, my ferret family, on this day in my life where tears of joy
mingle briefly with tears of sadness, where death and life share the
couch, I wanted to share with you the hope I feel.  Spread it around
a bit, send it on, use it where you need it.  I have a lot to give.

Melissa Rotert
Mira, Samurai and O'Dell
Missing Army SSgt Christopher Swisher,
Booboo, Cael, Robin, Tasha and Nietzsche