From:
[log in to unmask] (Lorina Poland)
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 1994 17:20:45 +0700
Our question is this (as delicately as I can put it):
Can be dump ferret litter boxes into our compost heap?

We know that doing that with catboxes is bad, because
felines can pass on contagious diseases through soil
to vegetables. We haven't a clue if the same holds for
ferrets. After all, how many diseases do whave in common
(humans and ferrets) besides colds?

Additional question is whether or not it matters if cats
and ferrets share litter boxes. Can they pass any contagions
that way? We're not too concerned with the cat in the ferret
box, but the ferrets love to nose the catbox.

Thanks for any responses, especially hardcore science answers.:)

Lori (ferret mommy), Penryn (ferret daddy), Tinker and Aloysius (fuzzies)

[Doing it with ferretboxes is "bad" for the same reason that doing
it with catboxes is - the very same diseases.  One specific disease
is Toxoplasmosis, which is common in both cat and ferret (and bat)
feces, and under certain circumstances can be deadly to humans.]