From:
Kelley Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 2008 08:39:34 -0400
I too had never really thought that ferrets could grieve themelves to
death. Search for their missing buddy? Yes. Mope around for a couple
of days? Absolutely. But to actually give up, stop eating and cross
the bridge. I really didn't think that they would or could. Until I
saw it for myself this summer.

I wrote about the passing of Sammy and Bear in July. Sammy and Bear
came home to us together. They were cagemates and best buddies. At
almost five years young, Sammy had gotten sick and we were doing
everything we could to save him. He was put into a smaller 'sick cage'
rather than in the big cage with Bear and Princess. Bear was taken to
see him and cuddle with him several times a day. But he knew that Sammy
wasn't getting any better. He stopped eating, stopped playing, just
wanted to be with Sammy. Three days later, he was gone. No amount of
cuddling or treats or favorite toys or kisses from his momma could
make him change his mind.

I truly believe that Bear decided that he had come here with Sammy and
he was going to leave with Sammy. They are buried together in our back
yard. I still can't believe that they're both gone. Princess seems to
be doing fine. She was moved into the other cage with Poncho, Bandit
and Daisy. She's eating and playing, but she had only been with Bear
and Sammy a short while. Sammy and Bear were truly bonded.

Alex, I just wanted to let you know again how truly sorry I am about
your losses. I understand the heartbreak you're going through. It'll
take a while - I still cry when I think of Bear and Sammy - but it'll
get better. They'll be together while they wait for you at the Bridge
just as Bear and Sammy will wait together for me. Give Todd some extra
hugs and kisses. And know that you gave Ping and Puma a loving home.

Kelley
Loving Princess, Daisy, Bandit and Poncho

Missing Ben, Jerri, Hershey, Casper, Oscar, Felix, Justin, Shadow,
Bailey, Bear and Sammy