From:
Denise Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2008 23:37:30 -0700
On May 28th, Cindy (one of our supporters) and I went down to Oakville,
WA (85 miles South of Auburn) to pick up six jills (2 in one cage and
4 in another) and eleven hobbs (all in separate cages). A lady took
them in to keep them from being euthanized. The pet police and regular
police confiscated them from a hoarder. We had to clean their ears,
clip nails and put Revolution on all of them and check them for any
other health issues.

There were only 2 that were a little too thin. BUT everyone was in
season. aarrggghhhhh. They were small and quite young. Sweet, scared
and they loved the Totally Ferret food and the bowls were empty by
the time we got up there.

I called 2 shelters and one responded that she could take them. So we
proceeded to take them to Lacey's shelter (Ferret City) in Burlington
(2 hours north of Oakville). ( I can't thank her enough. We are full
to the max and will not be taking any new surrenders until we get down
below 100. )

While driving down to Oakville a man from Centralia (south of Oakville)
called and asked if we would take a little girl ferret that had
insulinoma. He was on disability and couldn't afford the medicine. She
wasn't eating and he didn't know what to do. He got the ferret from
a petstore that took her in. We met him and took her. She was so
lethargic and tired and in pain. She looked at us as if to say, Please
help me ... I'm so tired of the pain and feeling terrible. We took her
to Cindy's vet and she passed over the Rainbow Bridge that afternoon.
We proceeded to Burlington...with tears.

We traveled a total of 425 miles that day-- I left home at 8am and got
home at 12:10am--did meds/soup and went to bed....and I was soooooooooo
tired the next day...but it was worth it.

Thanks to Teri and Rachael (volunteers) the dookers at DDDFR had clean
potty boxes, fresh food, and fresh water and clean floors that night.
(Rachael came late---and was leaving as I got home--that's dedication..
Thanks so much) Their pics are on the website photo gallery so you can
see these precious dookers.

The work it took just to pick up 17 ferrets made me realize the
enormity of the Ohio rescue. Precious 'dooker' lovers everywhere
stepped up to help. You all are so appreciated. I also want to thank
Cindy for her patience and willingness to go along and thanks to Lacey
Ruddell for being willing to take them in.

I love the ferret community!!!!!!

Have a 'ferret' day.
denise
www.washingtonferret.com